Where to mound my new HI-LIFT - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 12:47 AM
Wrangler88

Where to mound my new HI-LIFT

ok boys, i went out yesterday and bought a brand new 48" HI-lift jack from the local 4x4 place, and wow! i never knew they were so heavy, but anyway, i need to know where i can mount this thing with out it getting stolen, i've thought of the bumper ideas, but as much as i actaully use it, the weather would do a lot of unneccisary damage, i thought under the hood like they do in TJ's but the brake booster is in the way, right now its layin on floor behind the front seats, but does anyone have any good spots or ideas, or designs, i don't mind fabing something.. thanks for the help

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 06:40 AM
sas87yj

Re: Where to mound my new HI-LIFT

there is a way to mount behind back seat if you want[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
look under "MISC" @

http://www.off-road.com/~lhsoo/yj-faq/yj-faq.htm

i mounted mine on front bumper(on top). the instructions showed to mount on front of bumper. i needed room for tow bar on front.

be creative and do your own thing?[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

steve

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:58 AM
I Do This For The Glory

I used a stop sign channel to mount ours to the front bumper with. The channel fits perfectly into the groves of the hi-lift, doesn't move at all. If interested, I'll post more on how we did it, let me know.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 09:09 AM

You could mount it to the rear of the main hoop of your roll bar. Just run a couple of bolts through it pointing toward the rear (I'd sleeve it), use wing nuts and washers on the back.
This would keep it inside and out of the way. To get to it, you'd just sit in the back seat and unscrew it.

John
95.5 YJ with "stuff"
94 GMC Z71 without "stuff"
http://SonsofThunder4x4.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:34 AM
Can't Get Enough

The 4X4 rack mount (as advertised in some catalogs) is a pretty versatile mount and has holes drilled in the ends of the wing-nuts bolts so you can put a small lock thru it. Best choices are either behind the seat or up the roll bar or where you have it now. How long is the wheel well in your Jeep. I have a CJ8 and the extra length allows me to mount it over the rear fender well.

Keep on Jeepin'
Scott
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey JEEPN, where did you get the stop sign? LOL[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 12:28 PM
I Do This For The Glory

I got it from the local Public Works department. They usually have all sorts of stop signs and other street signs that people have run over. I used an 18" piece and mounted it to the front of the TJ using existing bumper holes. The open part goes toward the bumper. I put a couple of bolts through the channel (from open side)and put nuts on the outside (flat side) to keep them tight on the channel. Then I made up some large wing nuts (nut welded inside a pipe, with more pipe welded perpendicular to it) that thread onto the bolts. Put the hi-lift on and then the wing nuts. I also have a piece of solid rod with holes drilled in the ends. It goes through both wing nuts and I put locks on both ends. I can also use the rod to remove the wing nuts should they become too tight (it's also great for tightening them so they're parallel). I keep the base in the jeep under the seat so it won't get removed or stolen. It cost about $3 to build and is as strong as any you'll find. It's also great for people who like to back into you, it'll do all sorts of damage. I have never had it break and it has plowed through more than one mug bog, even ran into a stump with it, no problem. The hi-lift needs to be lubed prior to use anyway, so I keep a can of oil with me, and after use I like not having to put a dirty (and oily) jack in the vehicle (especially the TJ). The attached pic is a little hard to see, but it's on the front bumper of the TJ.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-148576-Kimball'sMountain.jpg (45.2 KB, 1 views)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:46 PM
Addict

I don't remember who owns this Jeep, but I really liked the front bumper setup that they had here, so I saved the photo for future reference. I like the way this Hilift is mounted. I plan on doing mine similar to this. Thanks to whom ever posted this photo originally.

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-148888-hiliftmount.jpg (13.7 KB, 2 views)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 09:06 PM
Can't Get Enough

How 'bout this way?

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-148901-r-Myjeepcrossing1a.jpg (58.5 KB, 2 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 09:22 PM

I mounted mine on the front bumper, using 3/8" beam clamps(they are clamps used to attach conduit and unistrut to metal beams). You can pick them up at any electrical supply company for about $3 each. They mount almost anywhere and hold the Jack very solid. Didnt even come loose in the roll over a couple of weeks ago. Here is a picture

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-148914-BobbedFndrFrnt.JPG (22.8 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode