Willys restoration? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 01:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Willys restoration?

I am looking to start on the Willy's restoration, nothing too radical. I'm looking for literature and books on the subject as I have never done anything like this before. I'm not looking to do an original rebuild, just functional for wheeling and daily driver. I'm looking for engine/tranmission/transfer/axles info and how to rebuild each. Currently it's in its stock form. Any help would be appreciated.

Dancin' Bear
'97 TJ Sport, daily driver
'47 Willys CJ-2A, in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 02:45 PM

Re: Willys restoration?

I am assuming you want to do the little 2A you have then? Well for larger Willys like the trucks and wagons there is a site [www.willysamerica.com] that deals mostly with original restorations, but can get you some original parts for possibly a 2A that are hard to find, a neat site, check it out. As for the small little 2A's I am "in the process" of doing just about the same thing now. Just about all you want to do is change the engine out, the 134 L head (or F head if you have a hole in your hood) is not very powerfull as you find going at your maximum speed of 45mph. THe best conversion is the 225 V-6. Listed at 160 horse but not even close because of different measurment techniques back then, it gives a true 100 horse upgrade. What axles do you have currently? There are some good articles around on the 225 conversion, I am thinking of going with a newer 231 buick with fuel injection and HEI. The 225 lacks this in a stock form. At all costs keep the D-18 transfercase, you will really like the twin sticks and the strength it offers. I think you should have the D44 rear that is a keeper for shure, then something would have to be thought of to replace the D25 front, I have not gotten that far yet. E-mail me if you want me to find some site addresses that go further into some conversions.

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 04:30 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

It is the 2A and it's stock right now. The engine needs a lot of work, I have seen one with a newer Ford in it, is that a good engine? I also need to fix the transmission as it doesn't shift right, I don't know what's wrong. I am looking for manuals in general about the whole jeeps so I can work on it. My husband is working on his, and I want to learn how to do everything he can. After all its my jeep.

Dancin' Bear
'97 TJ Sport, daily driver
'47 Willys CJ-2A, in progress
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 04:42 PM
I Do This For The Glory

The one she's referring to is the Ford 2.3L. I saw a guy in a '51 M-38 with one and he said it has plenty of power and was a pretty straight install. Anyone have any info on the install or the engine (which vehicles, etc?).

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 05:40 PM

Hmmm, well I still say the 225, to bypass any hassles with adapters, but lets see........ Need to whip out the old notebook here....... O.k. You need to go to amazon.com or any other online bookstore and buy some reading material. THe first book is titled "Off road Jeeps: Civilian and Military 1944-1971" by R.M. Clarke It has a bunch of stuff that will help you get your jeep on the road with history and stuff, look it up, good book. Then have you heard of the Jeep Bible? get it, it can help you out through the rough spots, and Then the Jeep Performance 4x4 handbood has a bunch of stuff on conversions that can help you decide what you want to do. The books are important to you in that order. I have skimmed through them all but never got into any of them. I find the best way to learn is through experimentation. Take it all apart, look at it and just figure it out. Old Jeeps are super simple, I took apart mine in just one day and just tinker with stuff. I am going to do something to the extent as a very original looking Jeep that performs just like any new car on the market today. I am taking the body first and making it flawless then getting it professionally painted on both sides, then I am cleaning up and getting the frame all to spec, painting it, then go up from there. Rancho makes replacement springs that give a mild 1" lift, (that is all I would suggest, any more and you will be riding with a rock suspention). Try to replace things that come off of newer vehicles, and adapt everything you can so that you can walk into the parts store and buy readily available parts instead of searching for days and speacial ordering parts. Find as much information as you can, and you are using the best tool you have right now, the internet, so have fun!

John
yes, my user name is a typo, go figure.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 07:33 PM
onetuffcj

Hey Dancin Bear, I live in Harrison, Maine. I was supposed to go up to Pittsfield and pick up a all original Flat Head 4 cyl. from a Willys. The fellow said it was his fathers , but he passed away and he just wants to sell it. If interested you can e-mail me and i'll give you the details.
Oh by the way i think i know your husband, he was telling me the other day he is behind you in this jeep project , physically and FINANCIALY. So spend his cash!!
Good Luck, Mike [email protected]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode