Stupid transmission question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 11:50 AM
Wrangler88

Stupid transmission question

the AX-5 on my 95 wrangler,is doing some stupid things, when u press the clutch down the petal vibrates a little bit, i took it to my mechanic and said that theres a plastic bearing the slides on a shaft and its probably just wearing out, it does it on and off every once in a while and to fix it i got quoted $1000 which i really don't feel like paying at the moment, my mechanic said its gonna gonna hurt anyhting if i keep driving it how it is, but will eventually fail and i will have to get it fixed, i figured before i get anything done, does anyone know what part hes talking about, and how hard it is to fix, i could drop the tranny myself but i'm not to familar with the internals, thanks guys lets hope its not to hard to fix!

(\/)ikey
1988 Wrangler Laredo 4.2L w/5spd Manual
1995 Wrangler 2.5L w/ 5spd / 31"BFG AT's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 02:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Stupid transmission question

Sounds like the throw out bearing to me. The throw out bearing is the bearing which the clutch fork rides on. I could be getting this slightly wrong due to I don't know the exact terminology, but basically when you press the clutch pedal it causes a fork to move forward and depress the clutch. This fork rides on a bearing, called the throw out bearing. These sometimes go, and when they do they cause noise and vibration when the pedal is pushed in.

I had to change mine on my 95 YJ. If your YJ is a 95, then you should be in luck (somewhat) because at least you have the external slave cylinder kind rather than the internal slave cylinder kind, which would make things more complicated. Basically you unbolt the bell housing from the engine, push the tranny/xcase back (after removing driveshafts), pull off the clutch linkage, remove the old bearing then replace it with a new one and put everything back. It sounds simple, but it actually is a real PITA if you don't have a transmission jack. I used a come along tied to a chain run across my roll bar, but suffice it to say that supporting the tranny/xcase (which is REALLY heavy) while you are moving it back and forth is difficult without the right equipment. Also, it's a pain to line it up (without a tranny jack) to get it back in because you have to get the input shaft lined up just right to get it back in.

I did it myself with the help of friends who've done it before. If you don't have similar friends, you might want to pay a mechanic to do it.

I'm not sure what the plastic sleeve is that the mechanic is referring to, but I did hear of a similar thing happening to my friend's 95 yj (4 cyl), so I don't think that it is necessarily off base, just I don't have direct experience with it. But it is most likely that in order to get to this sleeve the mechanic would have to go through the same procedure to seperate the bellhousing from the engine, which is a PITA and/or requires a tranny jack.

Find someone who has done it before and get them to give you a hand.

Chad

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode