Joining the ranks of those who "rolled" - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Joining the ranks of those who \"rolled\"

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]Let me start off by saying that when I got serious into "wheeling" my Jeep I had prepared myself for the day I would lay my truck on it's lid. I had alway's thought that my first "roll" would come on the trail......boy was I wrong.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]I was about a mile (I live 30 miles from the office) from home yesterday evening when I came around a sharp corner and there was a truck almost stopped in the road. This caught me off gaurd, so I took evasive action. I down shifted and locked up the brakes...off into the bar-ditch I went. Now at this point things seemed fine,I was no longer moving forward.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] The problem was that I was in an off-camber position and the ground was really soft on the passenger side, next thing I know the Jeep is on it's side.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
The farmer in the truck helps me up-right the Jeep, and I began the process of checking things out. Windshields broke, windshield frame is bent, front passenger fender is bent, both of the TJ flares on the passenger side are flat, good sized dent in the passenger side rocker panel....thats about all I can see.
With the Jeep back on all four I checked the oil and the coolant levels, they seemed fine. I saw only a small amount of oil that leaked out, and only coolant from the container on the fender well. To my surprise[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] the Jeep fired right up and I babied her home. I do keep full insurance on it, so I guess now the saga begins on how to go about getting it fixed, bigger and better. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
I will keep everyone posted on how things go.

http://www.geocities.com/austnjpr/

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 08:03 AM
Robert87yj

Re: Joining the ranks of those who \"rolled\"

Glad to hear that you are OK.
Going over in a ditch is bad, I was with my mother, she was driving, same situation, almost. She dipped off the road, "jerked" it back on the rald. That send us into a spin. We ended up on the edge of the road, stopped right before a 15ft ditch paralell to the side of the road. Just when I thought everything was over, the ground beneath the tires on the edge gave way, we went over. I was only 13, so I thought it was kind of cool[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img], like a roller coaster ride. We ended up stopping upside down on the roof of the VW. It felt like a roller coaster ride.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 08:16 AM

...and everyone we wheel with allways thought that I would be the fisrt to lay her down. Really sucks that it happens on the way home. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Well, like we talked about, beat up the insurance co. and build it bigger better and stronger.
Don't forget the pics! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Good judgment comes from bad experiences, bad experiences comes from bad judgment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 09:46 AM
Keyboard Implanted

my first roll was a lot like that, but it was more my fault.. i was gong around a corner too fast and slid off the road into wet grass.. i slid up the ditch and while i was way off camber and still doing about 35mph, i hit a big tree.(ejecting both hard doors) the jeep rolled forward on the air and landed on the hard top, then rolled forward again and landed on the drivers side. i was totally uninjured...no cuts, no bruises nothing except the key was about an inch into my arm... i was wrapped arond the steering wheel so tight that the wheel bent all the way over and dug the key into my forearm. that jeep was totaled.. the output shaft of the tranny broke off in the x-fer case, the frame was bent in several places, engine pushed back 6 inches, axles bent.
you were lucky! i was stupid(and lucky).. good to hear you are ok
oh yeah.. i was about 4 blocks from home too

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 09:53 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Glad you are ok and it sounds like the jeep could of been a lot worst off to than it is . Those parts can easly be replace. GOOD LUCK
P.S. I see the spell checker still sucks big time.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 10:05 AM
Can't Get Enough

Sorry to hear about your Jeep, Glad to hear you weren't injured. I also live in the Austin area (Bastrop, Smithville area actually), When I get my Scrambler finished (well it'll never be totally finished), or at least what I deem trail ready we'll have to get together sometime for some wheelin.

Jeep On...

82 Scrambler
Smithville, Texas
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 10:39 AM

Kerry,
Have you found any places out towards the Bastrop area for extreme wheeling?

RocknCJ [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Good judgment comes from bad experiences, bad experiences comes from bad judgment.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 12:58 PM
Can't Get Enough

No unfortunately not, I'm wanting to start a club here in the area so we can find some areas, There are a few prospects I can think of off the top of my head, but I think I would have better luck if there was a club to show that any trails would be cared for and responsibly used. I have alot of ideas and plans in my head for the area, but have to take it one step at a time. Any trails that show up in this area will most likely be on privately held land and we will have to convince the individuals that the area will be well cared for. If you know anybody from the area that would be interested in putting a club together and willing to work hard to develop the area send them my way and we'll see what we can do.

82 Scrambler
Smithville, Texas
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 09:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

been there, done that. see attached photo
glad to be alive, jjc

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-148198-Pict0036.JPG (43.4 KB, 0 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 11:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I too rolled mine, while out wheeling in LA. We had just righted my friends jeep from a oh so slow motion tip over. My jeep was on top of the birm and we had winched him back over and now it was my turn to come down thru the same spot (my 2nd time) My wife had refused to drive it down since this was our first actual "roll over" event. I hit the exact spot of my friends and started to go over just like him....except I remembered that you could turn into the roll and give it some gas and drive thru it......Right! all I managed to do was hit harder. results: windshield frame & glass, motor mount, fan, radiator, dimple in hood and fender (still there 4 yrs later).
The worse part was we had to tell my friends wife that I hit a tree because she was left back at camp having a breakdown from an earlier jeep thrill.....she has never been in the woods again.
But hey, we learn from these times don't we? Just ask Rockbottom.
Still jeeping.
-Will

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode