AMC oil pressure solution? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 06:44 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

AMC oil pressure solution?

I have been trying to figure a way to increase the oil pressure of my newly rebuilt AMC 360 when the engine is warm. I have gathered what I think is good information. I think that the pressure can be upped, if a smaller (thinner) gasket is used between the timing chain cover and the oil filter adapter/housing. Will this increase the pressure? It would decrease the gear to body clearance, therefore increasing the pressure, right? Also if this is the case, could a small adjustment to the pressure be made by tightening the 7 bolts that hold the oil filter adapter/housing on? The manual only calls out 4.5 lbs. Would I see an increase in pressure if i tightened it to 7.5 lbs, for example. I would think that it would be similar to putting in a smaller gasket. Also, will changing the pressure relief spring change oil pressure at idle? Any and all info is appreciated. I need to get this figured out. Thanks ya'll

Jesse

What does not kill my wallet, will still make me poorer.
AOL Instant Messager: jessemyers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 08:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: AMC oil pressure solution?

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Drat! Jessee tat outfit in OR that was re-doing the AMC and buick timing covers is not in bidness anymore(so I hear), but they even offered a special gasket set for that very thing. What ever you do, DO NOT exceed 55 inch pounds, or you may distort the cover AND possibly break a bolt. The AMC gasket kit that the guys in OR offered was 1 each of .0015, .003, .005, and.0075. With that set you could get any combination you needed. You are looking for a cover-to-gear clearance of .002 Max, down to .0000[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] You see, Jesse...the big problem here is that as the engine heats up, the HOUSING expands more than the steel gears do, and the oil pressure goes south. The phone number of the outfit in OR is 541-461-2335.......you maybe can call and offer his wife a new refridgerator if she will talk him into doing just one more setup....or maybe a weekend in Vegas[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 09:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yeah I tried to get ahold of the guy in OR and his wife told me he quit doing it. Probably because the timing chain covers are becoming cheeper. I will try the torque down tequniqe this weekend or early next wee, depending o when I can get in the garage. I will let you know if it helps. I am bolting into the aluminum timing cover, so I will get nowhere near the 55 ft lb range. If I go to 15 and do not see an increase, then I will stop. I do not want to screw anything up.

Is there a big problem with running my 360, if the oil pressure at 3 lbs at idle? I know some old engines were splash oil. Maybe the 3 lbs will be sufficient at idle. I am conserned about hurting this new engine I just built. Also, do you know what the pressure relief spring does? Thanks.

Jesse

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 09:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

just checking operation

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 10:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

some people shim the relief spring for more pressure, but this can be a dangerous operation. shim it too much and bad things will happen. i know for chevs and some fords you can get a stiffer spring which is a little better way to go.

dan
<font color=blue>Good things come to those who do research!!</font color=blue>

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 10:52 AM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] JESSE!...JESSE!...that is INCH pounds...not FOOT pounds.....Jessee...are you there....hello..hello...operator!...cut in and ring Jesse before he can get his hands on that Jeep![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Jesse,...do not shim the pressure relief. That is to save the gear drive in case your nephew Leroy revs the crap out of your Jeep engine on a frosty morning! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] 3 PSI at idle will most likely trash the cam and lifters.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 11:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Whoa..... got ya man. I noticed the inch pounds after I responded to the post. The cover is at 55 insh pounds now, which means I am not gonnna be able to torque them down anymore.

I have some bad news too. I talked to Tony Pinto at Americvan Performance, and he says that I should run about 15 psi in order to not wreck anything on the engine. That means I have to get a new wiming chain cover. He said shimming the spring with a .005 spacer will probably pick up the oil pressure about 5 PSI. However, he said I run a risk of blowing up the oil filter (would that be a mess or what).

So it looks like in order to get to the 15 psi I need, I will need a timing chaincover. I will also need new gears, as well as either machining or getting a new oil filter adapter housing. What a bummer. More money, and more importantly more down time. At this point money has become a non-issue, because I have dumped ALOT more than budgeted into the motor. Now I just want to take it wheeelin. This will be the third oil pump I have set-up and installed in 1 month (1st one broke, second one is on there now, third one will be new). Sometimes it pays to do things right the first time. The only thing that keeps me going is knowing that the end result is going to be awesome.

Sorry to get you in an uproar CJDave. Thanks again for your help.

For everyone else, I would recommend using a new timing chain cover when rebuilding an AMC, it will cost about $250 more, but will save yo ua alot of downtime and frustration. It really is true. Just Empty Every Pocket

Jesse

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 11:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

you could always go dry sump and not to worry about it again. all the pressure and volume you would ever need, as well as less worry about oil starvation on inclines. but i have not found a setup inexpensive enough to make it worthwhile. mabey TR could help us in that department.

dan
<font color=blue>Good things come to those who do research!!</font color=blue>

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 12:31 PM

Dry Sump = BIG $$$$
If you put the scavenging pickups in the right places, and have fuel injection, you could run the vehicle upside down though...
Dry sump would end those rear main & rod oiling troubles too. Just tap the block and run a fresh line to each set.

I love dry sump oiling systems, but they are Horse Power hogs, add a lot of weight and miles of hoses, and cost a small fortune.

Here is a hint for your gasket problems...
Manilla folders. Like you put paper work in.
They are compressed, sealed paper, come in several thicknesses depending on manufacturer and grade, cost nothing, and are available where ever writing paper is sold...
You can cut out the gasket with an X-acto knife, razor blade, scissors or what ever.
Buy a hand type leather punch with several size dies to make the bolt holes (about $5 at most hardware stores and any saddle or leather shop).
(See Attachment for leather punch)

There goes another one of those 'Professional Builders' secrets...

"I Have The Body Of A God... Buddha"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-147921-LeatherPunch.jpg (27.3 KB, 0 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode