Rockcrawling lights - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Rockcrawling lights

I put two lights in the standard behind the front wheel location, but it does not seem like it will be enough. I am doing a night run in a couple of weeks and would like to have all this worked out. Any pointers would be appreciated.

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 10:50 PM

Re: Rockcrawling lights

Bob,
1 55 watt light under each well should be plenty. i set mine towards the back also. Jeepchick and I really enjoy wheelin at night, and often leave after work on friday nights on impromto camping trips. i often wheel with the rock lights alone. I do have most of the front of my fenders cut away however.Remeber your front headlights will give you good reflected light also, untill you go vertical and they have no ground to reflect off of. Ive attached a photo of the lights at night, you can get a pretty good idea of their location from the pic.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9-147571-RockLightWheelin.JPG (23.2 KB, 3 views)
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 07:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Harbor freight sells a nifty little pair of lights for $12.95. They measure 3"x6" and are 55 watts. They work great as rock light and I'm going to put a pair on the rear of my Taco whenever I get of my butt and finish the bumper. They're plastic but at that price you can replace them often. On my buddies '77 we drilled 2 holes in the floor board about 3-4" up from where it makes the bend upward towards the firewall and installed them there. Just the pair work great. They hang down slightly but haven't gotten hit yet. I can send pictures when I put them on my M38AI. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 10:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

the best lights i have found are PAR36 implement floods. you can find them at napa or any tractor store for less than 10 bucks each (i have found them for 5 or less if you look around). they are rubber housed, 35-50 watt sealed beam flood, very rugged and about 4in round. a few of these in the right spots and you will be wheelin all night long. i also run two forward facing to use instead of headlights as they do not glare so bad.

dan
<font color=blue>Good things come to those who do research!!</font color=blue>

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 09:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I only have one set of "Rock Lights" they are set up just inside of my nerf bars, as far back as i could mount them. They are pointed towards the ground, just outside of the front tires. They are pretty well protected, nerf bar to the outside, framerail to the inside, body mount to the back, and light out the front. The only problem i have with them is they offer NO illumination behind the back tires.

BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode