NEED NEW TRANNY - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 10:15 PM
YJJP

NEED NEW TRANNY

Seeing as how I can't figure out how to find old answers on the web page, I need some help.
The tranny on my 88 YJ just died. To expensive to rebuild, so what is the best bang for my buck.
Please don't tell me to go pay 1500 dollars for an NV4500 or something of that dollar figure.
I work for a living. Is there something out there, cheap, easy to find, heavy duty four or five speed, won't require an expensive adapter, has to fit between the 258 and np231 T/C, and won't break the bank ???? TIA for all answers...

If it ain't broke,don't fix it. Wait till the wife is gone, and upgrade it .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 11:29 PM

Re: NEED NEW TRANNY

I love the NP435. very low 6.69 1st gear, extremely tough, fits into almost anything. Big drawback though you will need adapters. Call AA for pricing. Or www.advanceadapters.com
Im not sure which tranny would need no adapters, since you have the NP231.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 11:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Try using the SEARCH on the same row of options as login, log out, main index check private, and so on. I think you will have to compromise something to find the tranny you want. either a little beef or use an adapter. Try the search though you should find what you need.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 07:56 AM
YJJP

I called AA about the situation already. New shaft runs about 190$, and then I have to buy the adapter to make it fi the T/C , 580$. NOT ! Now it's back to the thinking board........ I don't want to dump any of the running gear just to make this work. Anything wrong with the NV3500 ????

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 12:02 AM

I went with the Ford T18 from an early 70s F250 2x4. It shares the same bellhousing pattern with the T150 and T176, so the bellhousing should be easy (and cheap) to come by. The biggest cost is the adapter (I got mine from Hicks, they sell AA cheaper than you can buy direct) and then you need to tear down the tranny and put in the new output shaft, or have a shop do it. For your work you'll get a 6.32:1 first and a bulletproof tranny.

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 07:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

you are not going to find a good tranny for under $1000. a t-18a will cost plenty to start with and then the adapters kill you
...if you don't have the $$$$$, repair what you have, or save, or do what i used to do...sell jeep parts till i had the $$$... you know.."do i REALLY need a soft top???""nahh....do i really NEED these aluminum rims?..nahhh...now i just save until i buy what i want, but i don't have to drive my jeep anymore. oh yeah.. one other thing, i bought my tf 727 for $250 , a tf 999 would be about the same.. it bolts in and is strong, but you still have to pay $100 for a decent shifter.. now your at 350...+ atf, tranny cooler lines.... and then you pray the driveshafts still fit...tranny swaps are not cheap

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 07:31 AM
YJJP

Yes, I know. But anything, other than walking, is better than this Peaugot thing. It's just to weak, but your right, been selling stuff I really had no need for, to pad the bank.... Thanks to all for your help....

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 07:49 AM
Can't Get Enough

How about an AX-15, or AW-4?

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 09:28 AM
I Do This For The Glory

<blockquote><font size=1>In reply to:</font><hr>

Is there something out there, cheap, easy to find, heavy duty four or five speed, won't require an expensive adapter, has to fit between the 258 and np231 T/C, and won't break the bank ????

<hr></blockquote>

No, otherwise we'd all be using them.

<font color=red>YellowFord87YJ</font color=red> had a spare for sale a little while ago, you might ask him what he wants for it. Tranny swaps are not cheap, especially for your setup. To save money on mine, I bought the whole setup (bell, tranny, trans) for $250, and it still cost me another $500 for the install, and it was a direct bolt on.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Have you considered the AX15? It may fit. If it does I know someone who has one that he pulled from his 97TJ to make room for the 4L60E and an LT1. Let me know

94 Wrangler w/4.3 CPI Vortec
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode