94 YJ: I-4 vs. I-6 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

94 YJ: I-4 vs. I-6

i'm looking at buying 94 YJ with 3" lift w/33/12.5. nice all around, my only concern is 4-cyl engine. it's priced good and i wanna know how I4 will compare to I6. I know that I6 is of course a better choice, but i wanna know what to look out for with I4 engines

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 12:48 AM
Old Hand

Re: 94 YJ: I-4 vs. I-6

I have the '93 I4 engine. The reason I bought it was that I plan on doing an engine swap and liked the lower gears for off-road (4.11). I run 32" tires and around town it does alright, but on the freeway it is gutless. The I6 has a better 5 speed, but has higher gears in the axles. Choices, choices, choices. All things considered I wish I had the I6.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 07:01 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

You will never hear someone with an I6 say "I wish I had a 4 banger" LOL

CTjeepnut

Funny thing is, the more I practice, the luckier I get
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Disclamer: This is my OPINION...not fact just how I feel.

The I4 jeep will have better gearing in the axels, but the power from the I4 is worthless. My 94 had the I4 and I ran it pretty hard to make the trails and hills. It will be ok if you dont mide using low range most of the time, but then the tranny(AX5) will explode eventually. Bottom line, and truth be told the I4-AX5 combo is best left to Conversion projects or daily driving with mild two tracking. Dont get me wrong I was able to work my jeep through most anything except for what my smaller tires could handle, but when I say work I mean it. It was hard on everything. Given a choice and if I was not going to convert it, I would hold out for an I6 jeep, and just swap the gears, its a lot cheaper that being locked into small tires and low range.
My friend has a 97 with thee I6 and the AX15 and after switching to 4.56 gears he does great....

94 Wrangler w/4.3 CPI Vortec
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 04:50 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sorry all with an I4
they are worthless... i drove a brand new one last month... and it was terrible.. can you go over 60 mph in one? the milage is almost the same as an I6, there is a reason people pay the almost 2k extra for an I6 when buying a new jeep... the I6 is a fantastic engine.

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 05:23 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

All praise the I6..... can i get a hallelujah......

OK sorry, feeling like a southern Baptist minister for a while... LOL

The 6 is a great motor... lots of torque, decent HP, decent milage (helps if it's not pushing a brick @ 65mph & 3k RPM!!!) and great life span.
I'd hold out for a fool injected 6 (91 or later) even a stock one with high miles... they are easy to fix, and if you do the work, you know how well it's been done( good, or bad).

later, and can i get an Amen

AMEN

BJ

"If you chose not to decide, you still have made a Choice" RUSH
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 07:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A friend of mine told me once the I6 was such a good motor it was practically bullet proof. ....you know, I tend to believe him...those motors can be used and abused more than any other motor I know of,......and still get you out of the woods...,,

DrummondCJ
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 08:18 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Now don't go claiming bulletproof, they're not that good. A few friends and I punched holes in one (cracked block) with a 350 Remington Magnum (great redneck fun you know). All the other calibers we had just polished the outside.

The I-4 isn't that bad of an engine, it's just that the I-6 is so much better. I chose to keep my I-4 (for now), due to it's ability to turn 300 rpm's and recover easily. It sucks on the road and in the mud, but it's the best for rockcrawling. Depends on what you're willing to settle for and what you want to do with it.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2000, 05:53 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img].. and not rod proof either.. i stuck one thru my last 6.. but the motor before that (258) i put like 160k on it.. and it just needed a ring job.. i had a 500 holley, intake, headers, msd on it.. and it ran like a champ.. had more balls than my friends new 305 in his jeep (dont ask)
get the fuel injected 6.. you wont be dissapointed..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode