Going SOA - That friggin pitman arm! (part 5) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 09:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Going SOA - That friggin pitman arm! (part 5)

How do I remove the pitman arm? This thing will not budge. I have a 3-claw gear puller capable of 3 tons and it gets so tight it feels like something will break and shrapnel will go flying so I don't tighten it anymore. Based on what some archived posts on this bbs said to do, I've tried torching it, hammering it, WD40ing it, and liquid wrenching it - NOTHING!

So then I tried removing the draglink from the other end of the pitman arm. The nut came off fine. As for the rest of it, it's jammed into the pitman arm about as tight as the pitman arm is jammed onto the steering box.

How do I remove these things? I'm so tempted to just cut the pitman arm off with a grinder. Any objections?

<font color=blue>&lt;b&gt; -Dorian&lt;/b&gt;
&lt;a href="http://www.4Low.com/jeep"&gt;88 YJ w/ square headlights&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/font&gt;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 10:08 PM
Addict

Re: Going SOA - That friggin pitman arm! (part 5)

I can only tell you what I did. First, I would get a real pitman arm puller. And not made in China. Crank that baby up until you think it is going to break, and then hit the arm with a big hammer. A little heat on the arm could be helpful.

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 10:47 PM

Hey Miller Time, the grinder worked fine for me. I turned to it in desperation after two days of trying everything else. (Ditto on the cheap pitman pullers, I broke three of them). I ground it as far as I dared, then used a reciprocating saw on the last little bit.
Luck,
Max

82 CJ7, 258, T-18, 4" BDS, York air, Warn 9500Hsi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 11:00 PM

I had to remove the power steering unit, place everything in a large vice, borrow a freinds high quality puller, and crank and whack, over and over, still no luck. Called my mechanic buddy over, offering dinner for he and his wife, anything, just get the darn thing off. He walked over to the bench gave it a few more wiggles, and pulled it right off by hand. "I know I loosened it though".

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 11:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Miller, I too went through the same fun you are having about a year ago. Finally after trying everything I could think of, I grabbed the trusty grinder and made a nice slice that ended about an 1/8" before the splines on the steering box. Evidently, the heat that was produced was enough because with a solid whack of the hammer, the arm fell right off. I say go for it with the grinder as long as you don't plan to ever re-use the old arm and just be careful not to grind too much that you wreck the splines on the steering box...bad news then!! Good luck!

post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 11:35 PM

The only problem with cutting it off, is picture about a year from now youve accumulated enough parts, and have decided to go for that ultimate of all SOA steering set ups,"knuckle over steering", hmmmmm where was that stock pitman arm.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 07:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Blaster Penetrating Fluid seems to loosen up about everything. The mechanics at the 4WD shop I used to work at could knock loose any draglink, tierod end, cone washer, ect. With a single whack with a BFH. I asked them how and they said " Uh, I just hit it." Must be a conspiracy, I could never get the hang of it. I've had good luck with my China pitman puller but tierod ends give lots of trouble. I usually use a pickle fork and a lot of pent up anger which of course destroys the end. Good luck but I'd give the Blaster a try before you go cutting. Happy Jeepin'
Travis

So many Jeeps... So little time[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 08:01 AM
Can't Get Enough

After you tighten the pitman arm puller as tight as it will go. smack on the bolt end of the puller with a bfh. If it still dosn't come off, tighten it some more and repeat the process. I have never had one that would not come off that way.

As far as the tie rod end, don't hit on the tie rod end itself, but hit next to the tapered hole. i.e. pitman arm, steering knuckle, or whatever it is attached to. It should fall of after a few good whacks.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 03:53 PM
Addict

There is stuff better than the Parts Blaster stuff. I use Blaster for quick lube needs and for cutting oil from time to time, so no flames on "well you probably have never tried it." For penetrating rust and breaking loose stuff, you just can not beat this stuff called "Kroil" from Kano Laboratories. This stuff penetrates so well that you can put a drip on the outside of your cheek and taste it inside your mouth a few seconds later! (Found that one out by accident from that stupid itch you get on your face after you get your hands greasy! [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img]) Buy the aerosol can though! This stuff creeps so bad, that you lose a lot out of a regular oil can from the "wick" effect, and if you tip it over - forget about wiping it off anything porous. With the aerosol can, you don't have as much waste. Also, if you order the aerosol can, buy the king size - you get alot more for just a buck! Visit them at http://www.kanolabs.com.

While we are at it, another killer product that they carry is called "Kreen." It is an internal engine cleaner and must in some way fill the little wear lines and creases in cylinder walls. This stuff increased my compression in two bad cylinders I had with leaky piston rings. It was one of the products that helped me get 200,000+ miles on my 304. Try the stuff out! They even have a money back no questions asked guarantee.

Liberals don't mind being lied to . . . they just want to be lied to by someone they trust!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 04:13 PM
Keyboard Implanted

ok.. here is the real EASY way to do this.. first put the puller on.. good and tight... do the bfh thing and tighten for awhile.. till she just wont go anymore.. then go inside.. get a beer.. get cleaned up.. sit down take aload off your feet.. watch some tv.. go back to it the next day.. then whack it again.. and it should come right off.. have done this many times.. also works good on those 2 piece axles in the amc 20's..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode