Going SOA. - Driveline angles. (part 4) - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 06:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Going SOA. - Driveline angles. (part 4)

My SOA is coming along great. Had a few ?s though:

How much angle can my CV driveline handle?

Should my front differential pinion be pointed straight back so it's parallel w/ the tcase output? I'm told I need +6 degrees of caster, but I'm unsure how that will have my yoke pointed. I don't want to weld any pieces on then find out they're wrong.

<font color=blue>&lt;b&gt; -Dorian&lt;/b&gt;
&lt;a href="http://www.4Low.com/jeep"&gt;88 YJ w/ square headlights&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/font&gt;
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 08:41 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Re: Going SOA. - Driveline angles. (part 4)

ok first. you do not need 6 degrees.. you need positive caster.. scout axles have 0 degrees.. which is fine.. as long as you have 0 or + caster angle.. if you are not cutting the knuckles off.. then you want to line up your caster.. say 6 degrees.. and then check your pinion angle.. if you can find a happy medium between the two..then that is good.. i like to point the pinion at the yoke on the transfer case.. if you still have the shackles in the front.. then you can get away with pointing the pinion slightly lower than the trnsfr case yoke.. since it will flex back.. a cv joint can handle some good angles.. i dont know the exact figures.. but i know it will handle a soa quite well..
you rear pinion.. i set slightly below the trnsfr case yoke.. do to it torque on it from the engine.. will torque it up some..
like i said.. im no professional.. i just kinda eye sight it. ...then check the angle..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 12:05 AM

The front I just parralel match the stock perch, the YJs caster is fine, and the front drive shaft is long enough to handle the angle with no problem. I agree with Jeepgod on the rear, it should point just a degree or two below the rear yoke to allow for upward rotation under torque. I have set up 2 YJs this way with good results. Although I have had an on going battle with axle wrap,on my 89, untill my recent, home built spring modification.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 06:53 AM
Keyboard Implanted

h8 and jeepgod are right, but there is more.... remember that when you put weight on the jeep, the springs will get longer and change the angle of your pinion. heres how i did mine... i had the carrier out of the axle so i could look right through. i put the axle under the jeep on jackstands and put weight on the axle. i then ran a broom handle through the pumpkin and lined it up with the yoke on the x-fer case. then i marked off the angle the spring pads needed to be, and pulled the axle back out. when the spring pads were finished, i put a level on them and then put the knuckles on at 6.5 degrees.

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode