Manual brakes on CJ - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 04:37 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Manual brakes on CJ

How much of an issue are power brakes on a CJ 7? I am refering to the $8000 CJ 7 I am buying (See previous post). It only has manual DRUM brakes. When I put on the 35" tires I am worred about safety. Will they fade or give out on panic stops? Is there anyone out there that is running 35" tires with manual Drums? On the Highway? Can you convert them to power. I don't want to spend any more $$$$$$$.

Brian

Brian

Because....Jeeps are Fun!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 08:11 PM
Addict

Re: Manual brakes on CJ

Power brakes can be nice, and are easy to do if you can find junkyard parts, but ever try to stop a power braked car with the engine not running? Now visualize stalling while trying to negotiate a steep uphill obstacle..... and you start rolling backwards.....

-Dana

Democracy is three wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for lunch.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 09:08 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have manual drums all the way around for now with 32" tires. The drums are high maintenance or at least mine are. I've just now got all the parts together for power disc up front. My buddy had the exact same jeep but with discs up front. I drove both jeeps with same tires after fresh brake jobs and the discs had much better stopping power. His jeep had a 304 and a hard top while mine had a 258 and a bikini top at the time so his was heavier and still stopped better. The rolling back after a stall thing could be handled with your e-brake I guess if it ever became an issue. Just my thoughts but good point about stalling with power brakes.

Can you fix it?
I got a welder and a grinder. Heck yeah I can fix it.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 12:40 PM

I have towed and been towed by another vehichle of similar wieght to my '89 Wrangler. We went for 40 miles using a snatch strap. The vehichle being towed is repsonsible for breaking power, and its being towed because it doesn't run. The first time I was towed was quite memorable because of a mishap at one traffic light. My friend Ryan in his Toyota (towing me) saw the light turn yellow and tapped his brakes twice, the signal for me to stop us, so I got on the brakes, but then he decided to try and run it and tapped his brakes and sped up. When it became obvious we weren't going to make it he slowed down and I stood on the brakes, locked them right up without power-assist while being towed! It whipped his truck around a little but we stopped right at the line. Next we he blew up his motor and I towed him home running on about 4-5 cylinders and unable to get into 4th gear. We did 70 all the way back, stopped for the red lights and ran all the yellows, its just the way you've got to do it. By the time we got home my engine had cleaned itself out and was back on all 6 cylinders, but a blown valve cover seal was the victim. We fixed that at his house before I even drove home. Moral of the story...manual brakes will have the power to lock the suckers up given a little motivation!

Just bought a DJ-5C! Sliding doors and right-hand drive are cool [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 04:53 PM
I Do This For The Glory

When the wife and I got together, I tried teaching her to drive a stick, which, of course, was in my old Scout II with power brakes. Well, she stalled it (in 4L), and we started rolling backwards. I told her to press on the pedal really hard as it had power brakes and took a little more to stop. Well, she couldn't stop the Scout at all. I mean (imagine this), she had both feet on the brake pedal and was putting so much pressure on it she wasn't sitting in the seat anymore. She had both hands on the bottom of the steering wheel and was diagonal to the ground, crying the whole time. I couldn't stop laughing. She asked what to do, so I told her to put it in reverse and pop the clutch, which she did. She refused to drive it after that (smart woman, but only because it was a rolling POS) and is still scared of power brakes to this day.

My Scrambler has manual brakes (front disc though), and I like them just fine. Easy to work on, easy to diagnose, and stopping doesn't seem to be a problem, but it's a PITA to get back up to speed afterwards.

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 06:19 PM
Keyboard Implanted

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Our CJ will be pushing 4000 lbs with a full tank and the top and doors on it, 304, A/C, auto....the only thing halfway lightweight is the Quadra-Trac transfer case. Right now it has manual brakes and 31 X 10.5 rubber. We are not going to upgrade to power brakes till we get some real experience with it and can see for ourselves. If the brakes are done perfect, it should be OK, and on these twisty, steep Mtn roads up here it might be a hazard to have the brakes too easy to lock up, especially in snow and slop, so unless we just cannot feel safe, we won't install power brakes.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]

CJDave
Quadra-Trac modified by the crack moonguy[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] transfer case team.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 10:56 PM
Addict

I ran my Scrambler for about 4 years with 33" tires and 4" lift with manual brakes. It worked flawlessly. My friend with and identical Jeep, except power brakes, likes the feel of my brakes. I like them for the above mentioned reasons. If you kill it on a hill, the brakes feel the same they always do.

Now I am running 4 wheel disc brakes, and they work good so far, except you can pump them up. I have yet to diagnose the problem. My friend Loren up at Zak's (for CJDave) says that I might have to change out the MC. We will see. I will testing it on the rocks on Saturday.

CJ-8, CJ-6, Cherokee
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 10:28 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have an 83 scrambler with 33's and manual brakes. I have no trouble stopping, I just have to press a little harder sometimes. Once you back down a relatively steep trail for 400 yards or so you will be thankful you have manuals. Later

Bakes
83 Scrambler
http://www5.ewebcity.com/4x4trails
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-09-2000, 11:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I have manual brakes on my CJ5 and I love them. I just allow enough room to stop on the road.

By the way does anybody know how to (without breaking) free up the lines that go into the proportioning (spelling) valve. I need to replace the front brake lines this weekend. I can't splice into the line because the line is ribbed.

Lunatic
(O|||||||O)
Are you having fun yet????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode