Attn: Jeep_Jason-about making seat brackets.-Long-
I tried to email you here at work, but it wouldn't work so I copied this from the email.
Toy seats are nice, I had some from an 85 corolla, they tore up fast though. When I put the toy seats in I cut up and welded my jeep brackets to fit the toy seats, not a good idea. They wobbled just as much as they did before, I guess I expected a little more stabability.
To make the new brackets I first measured where the but of the seat was, then where I wanted it to be. I measured the height from the bottom of the door seal where the piece of oak would be resting.
Next, I took the seats,brackets, and consul out. I used the truest, straightest piece of oak that I could find to place across the bottom of the door openings. My whole plan revolved around the assumption that the straight bottom of the door opening was going to be level with the bottom of the Jeep. I let the piece of oak lay across the door openings and used a sliding t-square to measure the depth to the bolt hole in the floor. I also lined the holes up, across the jeep, with the ones they matched up with on the other side. I made marks where they lined up on the bottom of the door opening. This is how I measured the length that I needed. It also let me know how to plan it all out. They didn't exactly start at the same place on the left and right side.
After all of the measuring I made a wooden template out of 1/2" plywood for each verticle piece and used some scrap 2x4's as braces for the middle. Using the model, I decided that I wanted to raise the foward end of the seat by 1.5" to tilt the seat back a little and that the drivers and passenger side brackets were going to have to be a little different in width. Once I did this, I
drew out the design on a board and cut the steel to match, then welded them together.
Once I was done with the brackets, and had welded the horizontal spacers inbetween the verticle sides I did a test fit. I used 2" L stock to mount horizontally off of the front and back of the top of the brackets, put the seat on, test fit, marked holes to drill, drilled bolt holes, cut off the excess on each end. On my toy seats, I ended up cutting off the the toyfactory brackets that came off of the seat slide by grinding them off until I could hammer the rivit out with a punch. I used the rivit holes to bolt the toy seats to the modified brackets.
After you mount the seats ont he brackets, use more 2" L-Stock to make extensions to bolt the bracket to the floor of the jeep. I did a lot of test fitting at this stage to make sure that everything was correct. I ended up making the passenger side too wide and had to modify it after I thought I was finished, not good. I took a whole day.
The best advice I can give is to test fit before cutting, drilling or welding. If you aren't sure, don't cut so much off, tack it together, just so it will stay together, then, test fit. If it doesn't fit, break the tack welds and re-test fit again. Making the test bracket out of plywood really helped the second time. It also helped me check for clearance of the seatbelt box at the bottom of the rollcage. Thats a biggie. Also make sure that your doors can shut. When I first put my toy seats in I couldn't shut my doors. I had to do more modifications to my jeep seat brackets after that. And a last word, test fit as often as you can, it will keep you from wasting your time correcting mistakes.
If you have any questions please post it on the board, I'm not the only one who has done something like this, plus I check the board several times a day at work and not so often on the weekends. If you post a question I'll try to answer it the best I can, you never know how many other people out there could use the information too.
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>