welding a gas tank - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

welding a gas tank

it seems like this has been covered, but i can't find it, and it really didn't pertain to me in the past..... i have 2 gashes in my 22 gallon tank and i would like to weld them up.. is there a safe way?? can i fill the tank with water and then weld it?....again.. i am NO welder.. i have never claimed to be!.. this tank it tooooo much$$$ to throw away

~~Elusive~~
it's sort of still a cj thingy....see it at http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 02:54 PM

Re: welding a gas tank

I thought you were parking that Jeep and working on Jeepgods Jeep for a while. Boy, that idea only lasted about a day, longest day youve had in a long time,I bet, hahaha. Sorry I cant help with the welding technicalities. I know it makes me nervouse just drilling into a gas can to install a pitcock valve, I always fill with water than rinse with alcohol to remove the moisture.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 02:56 PM
Robert87yj

When I was prepping for my MPI, I took my gas tank out, it was a poly tank, but I wanted to clean it out. After drainging it and washing it out about 3 dozen times with the garden hose, I left it for a week to let it air dry. I was going to be welding in the rear of the jeep to get some stuck remains of bolts out of my frame and didn't wan't to have any problems. After a week welded, heated, and causes all manner of sparks to fly, with the gas tank still sitting under the jeep with no problems. It seemed safe enough.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 03:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Oh no, here we go again [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

Just drain it, wash it out with water and keep washing it out with water. I've seen some people drop dry ice in a tank before they weld on it. Whatever you end up doing just make sure you don't have any gas or fumes left in the tank and you will be fine.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 03:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My crazy uncle use to weld tanks when they were full of gas. He would make sure they were right full so there was no vapor. Everyone stood pretty far back when he was doing this though. My preference is to get some nitrogen gas to replace any vapors that may be remaining in the tank.

The happiest people don't have the best of everything
They just make the best of everything
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 04:39 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My old hig school auto-mechanics teacher used to weld them the same way [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]! He said "fill the tank all the way up, put the rig up on a hoist and start welding". I thought he was nuts. He admitted that he probably was, but that he'd been doing it that way for many a moon. I plan on rinsing my tanks out with water and letting them sit outside for a few days before I do any welding or cutting on them....

'56 CJ-5, 283, t-90/d18, 27/44, 2.5"(soon), 33's(soon), cage.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode