#$%@'n Duct-tape! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 01:52 PM
Robert87yj

#$%@\'n Duct-tape!

I was going throught my Jeep's wiring with my dad yesterday, because I'm an electrical idiot[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img], and found that a lot of the wires were spliced, with ducttape. Argggh![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]. The kid that owned this jeep before me had some mechanic...He didn't work on it himself, his dad said so. Putting my tranny and engine back in wouldn't have taken me so long if the jeep had been taken care of before I had it. Now I'm in the finishing stages of the mpi and I am running into more snags, because of the idiot who worked on the jeep before me!!![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] There was sand in the gastank, incomplete repairs, and other problems that I found. It makes me so mad[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img] that someone would have treated my jeep this badly, oh, not to mention the wiring under the dash, the same mechanic went through those too.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img][img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Sorry, I had to vent...

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 03:09 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: #$%@\'n Duct-tape!

I have found the same problems in my 76 CJ5. I did not find any duct tape in fact on some I did not find any tape at all THEY HAD WIRE NUTS. I have since ordered and got primary wire, extra fuse block, and heat shrink tubing from JC Whitney. I fixed everything the last owner had jurry rigged.

I took the added insurance of soldering every splice or connection and used the heat shink tubing to seal it. I also got rid of all the solderless connectors. The next item for the electrical system will be relays for all the extra stuff. That way I don't have to run the all that voltage through that cheapo switch.

Lunatic
(O|||||||O)
Are you having fun yet????
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 05:09 PM
Keyboard Implanted

i know what you guys mean.. well.. sorta.. my last jeep i had for 4 years.. and it was mostly stock when i got it.. lucky me... and this.. well i am building it from the ground up.. so i will know every square inch of her.. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img].. such a nice relaxing thought..

survival is instinct, but living takes guts

http://www.jeepgod.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 11:54 PM

Robert, if you want me to I will check the history of your jeep for free. Just e-mail me your VIN number and I will mail you the results. The check will look at the title history, and any other bad things that have happened to it.

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]'46 CJ 2-A Rusty, but still fun to drive and easy to work on.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 12:19 AM

I was lucky, when I bought my Yj it was stone stock,except for aluminum wheels and wider tires. When i began doing my electrical I was able to do it the way I wanted to. Used relays for all lights, compressor, etc, that way I dont have to run high power up to every switch in the roll cage overhead panel. I also twisted up extra wires into a loom wherever I ran wire so that when I added in the future, I just pull out a wire hook it up at both sides and its done, clean and neat. Robert, youll get your to where you want it, just keep pluggin away, once its finished, its a good feeling to know its been done right.

Jeff
89 Wrangler
If at first you dont succeed, your replacement will try and try again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 12:59 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Robert, I know what you mean about incomplete repairs. My CJ is full of them (what is it about idiots hacking up wiring harneses in Jeeps!). To you and me, a complete repair means that it is finished. To some others it means "It works again so I'll stop working on it now." I don't mind (so much) hacked up stuff that I can fix with a grinder/welder/torch. But electrical stuff needs patients that I don't have. I feel your pain!

Mike H.
<font color=blue>1983 CJ-7 Laredo</font color=blue>
2000 Durango SLT
1983 Dodge Ram (2wd)
[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]o[[[[o
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 09:25 AM
Robert87yj

Redbeard,
I'll take you up on your offer to run my VIN#. I'd really like to know where my jeep has been. I'm at work right now, I'll get my VIN# when I get home.
Would you run my brother's toyota corolla's VIN#? We know that it has been in one accident from the previous owner.
Thanks for the offer.

Robert87yj[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
<font color=blue>engine rebuild w/4.0 head done, now for the MPI</font color=blue>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode