Leaky steering box - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 09:17 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Leaky steering box

My '82 CJ5 has power steering and the steering box is covered with fluid. It may just be a loose bolt somewhere. If not, is it possible to rebuild these things? Or is that a job best left to a shop? What kind of obstacles am I looking at if I do attempt a rebuild?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 12:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Leaky steering box

they sell a kit at napa to rebuild them its around 50 bucks but it is a pain in butt to do If I were to do it again I would check my hoses really well and see if the box really needs it. After I spent all day with mine I put it back in only to notice my upper hose was rotten. A rebuilt unit is 195 bucks a used pick an pull unit is 55. good luck..I would go with a rebuilt one .

post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 03:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Those Saginaw boxes have lotsa pieces in them. Not saying that it can't be rebuilt at home, but it's a ballscrew arrangement and those balls like to escape. I'd opt for the replacement, especially at the price of them.

Jason '87YJ
(350/NP435/D300twinstick/SOA/GM14-FF-Detroit/D44-Lock-Right/M8274)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 04:50 PM

I had mine replaced a year ago. As I'm leaving the shop office the huy says, "By the way, you have a rotted body mount and that's rubbing your hose and causing a leak." So after dishing out $200, it was just a hose. What an A-Hole that guy was. So yes, please, please check your hoses first.

Sean

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 09:13 PM
Can't Get Enough

My box has a slight weep every now and then. It is coming from the seal around where the pittman arm goes in. I just keep a piece of newspaper under it and let it drip. What is that going to hurt? I must be lazy...seeya...

CJ-7,401,T-18,Detroits,etc..
http://hometown.aol.com/ericselz/myh...e/profile.html
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 09:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

For sure, check your hoses 1st,,plus,,I'd suggest replaceing as opposed to a rebuild. But....if its just a slight leak..or a "weep" you may want to invest $5.00 or so and try a product called "NO LEAK" or something similar...its a power steering sealer. As a rule of thumb, I stay away from any kind "sealer in a bottle" but the stuff does work as long as your power steeriing unit isnt hemorrhaging. I'm not suggesting it will last forever..but I put the stuff in over a year ago based on strong recommendation from a friend.....its worked for me so far. The way I see it, I may only have prolonged replacing the unit..but right now, it isnt bothering me or loosing fluid..so its got my vote.

DrummondCJ
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2000, 10:46 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My box was leaking a little bit. I used a product called Lucas power steering conditioner. It stop the leak and made for much smoother steering. I also don't like leak stop in a bottle, but I heard good things about Lucas, and since I sell it where I work, I wanted to see how good it really is. So far, after a month of using it, I would recomend Lucas products to anyone.

Thanks, Ray

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 10:34 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like my mission is:
1 - check all hoses.
2 - pull up tight all bolts.
3 - use stop leak.
4 - (if still leaking) purchase rebuilt/junkyard unit.

Man, I love this board!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2000, 05:05 PM
I Do This For The Glory

Mine is leaking (hemorrhaging actually) really bad and I know it's around the seals. I have tried the "stop leaks" and they don't seem to help. It works fine, and I'd just check the fluid before taking it out on a jaunt, but since the Scrambler is apart I might as well rebuild it. Has anyone replaced the seals or is it a "disposable" item and I should look for one in a junkyard? I've never had one apart (maybe you don't have to if it's just the seals?), so is it hard? I have some mechanical ability, but nothing spectacular, and the wallet is mostly empty as well (the wife is getting into jeeps, I told her she should pick up a hobby, guess which one she chose!?).

JEEPN
'81 CJ-8 Scrambled!
GM151/SM465/NP205 twinstick/7"Lift/33"TSL's/IHC D44's 4.10's Lock'd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode