'84 258 Intake Manifold Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

'84 258 Intake Manifold Question

Beginning the process of swapping my brothers '84 258 over to TBI (despite having the parts for over a year ).

Anyway, he had an adapter for dropping a MC2100 on it (stopped that silliness upon seeing what a HUGE difference the TBI had on mine ). Because of the adapters slotting (held the bolt heads captive) where it mated with the intake, we both assumed the intake was flanged to allow the use of bolt/nut to secure it to the manifold (was gonna use studs in the bottom of the new TB adapter dropping down thru the intake). However, looking at it clearly shows the intake actually uses blind studs to secure the carb.

Since I'll be machining the adapter from stock manifold to Rochester TB (should be MUCH better than stacking adapters... OEM to 2bbl & then to TB), I need to figure out how to mount it. While the intake bolt pattern appears to interfere with the TB's bore, that still looks like the best method (will use socket heads & hand blend the TB bores into the smaller/closer intake pattern).

So, can anyone tell me what the OEM studs (holding the carb to the intake) are size/pitch wise? Maybe the depth of these holes into the intake?

This info will negate tearing his down to pull the studs prior to machining the adapter...

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 03:16 PM
Veteran

If you are thinking of building your own check out these posts. TiminMB did a GM/Megasquirt and made his own adaptor and posted great instructions, well worth reading even if you plan to use the GM computer.

4.0HO manifold for GM TBI swap-wet flow problem - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

258 Homemade Fuel Injection using Megasquirt DONE! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Aluminum 2bbl intake modification question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

We are gonna "build our own"... well, basically just install the GM TBI with some ECM mods (ZIF socket & tuned). Did this on my 304 and it's been great!

Just need to know the stud size/pitch at the manifold

Caver Dave
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
Just need to know the stud size/pitch at the manifold
IIRC, Jeep Part # 070-200-2401

post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVE View Post
IIRC, Jeep Part # 070-200-2401
Thanks Larry! Are those the carb>manifold studs or manifold>head? Not a I-6 guy, but seems there would be 4 equal length studs for the carb-manifold? (unless the pic is generic?)

Caver Dave
the Trail Forge
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 AM
Way Outta Control

Jegs defines it as a carb stud kit... so I suspect it's a generic pict... as there's only three nuts there too...
post #7 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 12:29 PM
Veteran

When I replaced my BBD with a MC 2100 I used shorter studs. I just got standard studs from the hardware store and cut the fine thread end to the length needed. I am about 90% sure they were 3/8" diameter (if that is wrong they were 5/16"), fine thread on top and coarse on the bottom. They were definately common thread size though.

For what you are doing I would not use studs but instead use alan head bolts. Just drill a counter bore in the top of the adapter for the head and you should be good to go.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Way Outta Control

Quote:
For what you are doing I would not use studs but instead use alan head bolts. Just drill a counter bore in the top of the adapter for the head and you should be good to go.
...Humm... About 15 years ago I tried an MC2150 on my I6. I would have had a hard time getting an allen head wrench on the bolt to tighten it. It was pretty tight as it was using an open-end wrench or a socket with a swivel.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

I used socketed flatheads to secure the adapter to my V8 2bbl manifold, just not an option in this case...

Caver Dave
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode