Problems Finding Correct Tie Rod Ends... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:34 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

Problems Finding Correct Tie Rod Ends...

I'm putting a stock Dana 30 front together, and the tie rod ends are shot.

While I'm doing this, I though about making larger bars for the Tie Rod & Drag Link...

Anyone know of over sized Tie Rod Ends that have the correct taper for stock Jeep knuckles and pitman arm?

Bending thick wall tubing isn't a problem for me,
But I don't have a clue what Tie Rod Ends to us...
Someone mentioned a 1 Ton TRE that would work with CJ knuckles a while back, but I can't find the post!

If anyone knows the application, PLEASE let me know which one it is, and what the application/part numbers are!

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:21 AM
Old Hand

Check out partsmike.com. He has a tech page that lists the common Tre and sizes. I don't have the link handy or I would post it.

--mike
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:25 AM
Keyboard Implanted

I have used the 70's blazer ends, but I want to say I had to ream them deeper to make good contact.

Good article with part numbers

4x4 Steering Index

Lots of Info there

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Veteran

Late 70's and early 80's Chevy/GM 1/2 to 3/4 ton trucks used similar TRE's. They have a bigger tapered area then CJ's but use the same taper 1.5" per foot. The treads are 7/8"-18. 1 tons used the same taper but the threads where 1"-18. You can ream out the CJ knuckles and Pitman arm to the chevy taper but it is slow and the cheapest reamer I have seen lately was about $60. Taps are available to make your own links but they are not a common thread so you will need to order them (MSC has them) and the left hand tape is rather expensive. If you have a large enough lathe I suppose you could single point them but single pointing a long inside tread like that would be a pain. Some outfits do make weldable bungs that are prethreaded and can be welded to the ends of your tubes, but I hate the idea of welding something like that on a highway rig.

If you run relatively stock tires and have not had a problem with bending tierods I would just go with stock Jeep TRE's.

If you do want to go to Chevy TRE's the cheapest way is to just order a set of rodends and links from Partsmike. That is what I am going to do and a love to make stuff myself but the last time I looked it was like $250 for Partsmikes kit and when you add up the cost of TRE's and the tools needed to make the links you get way more then that.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!

Last edited by bandhmo2; 08-03-2009 at 07:21 PM.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

I have all the tubing bending, thick wall tubing, and taps, both right and left I can screw up...

That's not the issue.

I need to know if there is a 'DROP IN' tie rod end with the correct taper,
Or if I'm going to shell out for reamer that matches a reasonable priced, heavy duty tie rod...

I know someone MUST have done this before,
I've seen articles on guys using 1 ton TRE's in CJ's,
I just didn't pay attention to them because normally when I do a custom front end, I just drill the holes straight and use Heim joints and get it over with.

In this case, Since I street drive this little Jeep,
I want to keep actual TRE's in it to keep the steering somewhat tight...

post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-03-2009, 10:26 PM
Veteran

All the stuff I have seen on running larger TRE's has been based around using the GM ones and opening up the knuckles and pitman arm. But there may well be other options for 1 ton TRE's.

You many look at TRE's from the newer GM's after they went to independent front suspension as they seemed to get smaller. A good, though slow and hit or miss place to lookup stuff like this is Napaonline. I do a lot of research there. I type in a make model and year and then look up the part in question, they give relatively detailed specs on most parts. I then create a spreedsheet with the information on the parts I find. Sometimes I find something that will work right off, some times I never do. But I save the information anyway in case I change plans or others can use it. Unfortunately my TRE plans are based on the common GM TRE's so I have not looked further, so I can't help much in your search.

For what it is worth all TRE's I have heard of are tapered at 1.5" per foot.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 12:16 AM
Way Outta Control

3/4 T Dodge truck - mid 90's to present - tie rod - if I remember right, the ends are bigger but the taper's the same. Plus the tie rods aren't tubing they are solid - really stout, and they are the right length too.
I put one on a YJ - customer provided it - I only had to bend it a little. Worked out slick.
For tie rods and drag links, solid makes more sense.
The drag link might be a different story, not sure, I didn't do that one.

Myself - I prefer Currie (theirs is a forging) - really stout, nearly indestructible -- but I broke one of those too. Pricey!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 02:23 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Location: Selma,CA in the middle of the vineyards, Central California

This help? some spec's and photos

Tie Rod and Drag Link End Identification

"The Heep" 73 Commando, 258 I-6, T-18, Scout Dana 300 w/Tera 4:1 Kit, SOA, PS, Thru-dash Cage, Alcans, OBA, ARB's, HEI, Ft disc, MC 2100,Dents, Mud & Rust.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-04-2009, 05:42 AM

Instead of buying a $60 reamer, I had a tool sharpening shop grind a worn-out end mill to the 1.5"/ft taper. IIRC they charged about $20 and supplied the end mill. Only downside is that you do have to have a vertical mill or stout drill press to use it.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Thanks for the links and stuff guys,
I'm weighing my options and seeing what will/won't work while it's raining or 1,000 degrees around here!
(Dog Days Of Summer Are BACK!)

Since I don't, and wouldn't try to do a bunch of rocks with a D-30 in the front, I don't suppose I need anything huge, but I do want something more stout than I have!

(bent, straightened, bent, straightened, bent/broken, replaced, bent, straightened.... You get the idea...)

Anyway, I'm going to try to use something larger for this go around since everything is laying on the ground right now!

ANY MORE IDEAS?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode