Security Bolts/Special Locks? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Security Bolts/Special Locks?

Now that I have my nice bumper...I want to make sure everything on it stays there.....it wouldn't make me very happy to come out one morning and find my hi lift or gas cans gone.....

So....anyone have suggestions on how to secure it? I really don't want pad locks....all the bad guys have master keys (bolt cutters)....

I looked at some of the security bolts that require a special tool to remove....chances are a dirt bag has those as well.....not to mention that I would be screwed if I lost the tool....

What I would really like is a locking bolt....similar to the kind you see on towing balls....you know, the pin that holds the ball in the reciever?

Any suggestions?

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:41 AM

So why don't you use a locking bolt....similar to the kind you see on towing balls....you know, the pin that holds the ball in the reciever?

I really think your best bet is to use a steel cablethat runs through everything and is secured with a padlock. It's enough to stop the opportunity thief. There are armored padlocks that can't be opened with a master key, if you're really worried about that. A professional won't take the time or risk the noise cutting the cable.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 05:41 AM

So why don't you use a locking bolt....similar to the kind you see on towing balls....you know, the pin that holds the ball in the reciever?

I really think your best bet is to use a steel cable that runs through everything and is secured with a padlock. It's enough to stop the opportunity thief. There are armored padlocks that can't be opened with a master key, if you're really worried about that. A professional won't take the time or risk the noise cutting the cable.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:57 AM
Old Hand

I use a pad lock on my tire carrier which keeps my tire and hi-lift secure. I have no reservations that if someone really wanted my tire or jack, they would get it. However, as Jim says, it dissuades the casual thief.

The one thing I try to remember to do, but often time fail, is to unlock the tire when on the trail so that I have quick access to the hi-lift.

-- mike
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:37 AM
Addict

Don't even bother with the steel cable, I "had" 3 Summit climbing treestands for deer hunting locked/secured with the Kryptonite plastic coated 5/8 cables and the largest Master locks and someone cut the cables last year and not the locks. I tried to cut my locks before and can't do it but now a days with allllll the battery powered hand grinders out there with cut wheels on them nothing is safe anymore. So this year I'll be hunting two kinds of animals cause right now I'm out 1,100.00 counting the cost of the cables. Back your jeep up close to something when you are home so whomever can't get to or see your goodies, my saying is if they can't see it they won't want it.

BOOGER

IKSS now
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 01:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Just don't drag them around. sure you can get a flat, but on the road it is tough with today's tires. I found the weight and vibration on the road all the time is destructive, it stresses the mount points, as well as costs gas.I keep my hi-lift on the rear floorboard, and it is too much of a hassle to steal.

I have found small padlocks are fine for the opportunistic thieves. However, I am sure, you can weld up some flat stock with some hinges. Put the locks in a place a bolt cutter cannot get at or make a box around the lock (key goes in bottom anyway)

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 02:45 PM
Old Hand

I had my Hy-lift jack on the front of my Cj-5 & when I parked at the side of Wal-marts ,, When I came out they (2wantabe dirt bags) were trying so hard to get it off the front of my Jeep they didnt hear me walking up on them,, The one closest to me was inside my bumper with his back to me & I taught him a Lesson I learned way back in 69 ,, don't muck with someones stuff if hes got Big azz arms ,, Cause when the other one away from me took off I slamed the close one to me with a forearm my High School Coach would have been prould of,, It put him on the ground on the other side of the Jeep,, I had welded 2 wheel studs on the bush guard & installed wheel locks on then,, He tryed with a nice pair of vise grips to get them off ,, Now I have a nice pair of vise grips,,

It might not stop them from trying but it slows them down,,

SOME BEACH ,,,,,

DEATH BEFORE 2 WHEEL DRIVE ,,,
Quando omni flunkus moritati ,,,

Proud American

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate

Last edited by HOGHEAD; 07-25-2009 at 02:53 PM.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 02:58 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Good for you!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

Benjamin Franklin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode