Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Flat Towing ..... tips, helps, thoughts (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/232792-flat-towing-tips-helps-thoughts.html)

GoldToyBox 07-24-2009 04:51 PM

Flat Towing ..... tips, helps, thoughts

I've towed stuff all over the West but always on a trailer, never flat towed a vehicle.

I'm delievering the tow vehicle and towed vehicle (500 miles) and don't want to rent a trailer or leave mine 500 miles from home.

What do I need to do?
I have built the "A" frame & a light bar and mounted them to the towed vehicle.
I was going to 'tie down' the steering wheel but how are you guys doing it?
Tieing down hard or loose with some slack? (vehicle doesn't have a key locking steering wheel).
What are you tieing it down to? Wing window frame (doesn't sound safe??) Brake pedal? or ??????
Anything else I should be aware of? I don't want to "learn any lessons" on this trip.
Thanks

Jim_Lou 07-24-2009 05:21 PM

If the towed vehicle will roll fairly straight if you release the wheel, it will continue to do so when it's towed. You shouldn't need to tie the steering wheel. I have never tied the wheel of a towed vehicle. Now it you tow it backwards with the back wheels up on a dolly, you have to tie the steering wheel.

pontiac58 07-24-2009 06:14 PM

You cant tie off the wheel. Its has to be able to turn. If you tie it off it will just drag around corners.

Caver Dave 07-25-2009 10:02 AM

GTB, back in the mid-'70s we had several vehicles that logged 100K miles behind a motorhome. The '70 VW would occasionally start the "herky-jerky" (steering wheel swinging wildly side to side) when being towed. It went to several alignment shops trying to find the "misalignment" to NO satisfaction. Since it only happened a couple times per trip max, it wasn't a big deal, but did require slowing way down as it started before accelerating again (not always easy with the MH/VW combo). One day I was loading folding chairs into the bug for the ride home, ended up with a couple extra bungee straps (the old rubber type), & didn't want to misplace them, so I clipped it on the bottom of the steering wheel to the bottom of the seat.... Yeap! the slight resistance on the steering wheel CURED the jerking & still allowed the wheel to spin.