4banger with 33" tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Question 4banger with 33" tires

so if I put 33" tires on my 4cyl, the take off is going to suck. But I read that the gear box can be regeared to accommodate this. Does anyone know if this is true, and also how to find a good shop to do it in socal? What type of questions will I need to ask the mechanic to make sure he knows what he is doing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 10:41 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Well, you can regear the differentials. If you want to see what that will feel like, get your 33" tires on ..and just forget 5th gear. That should just about simulate/duplicate/immitate 4.88 gears. You'll still have the same issues on getting it moving ..but I don't think that is as much of a challenge as breaking 60 on the highway.

Gary L. Allan, Sr.
Pottstown, PA

If it ain't broke ..fix it 'til it is
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 11:22 AM

33-inch tires are 10% taller than the 30s you probably have now, so it might be bearable, depending on the transmission and type of driving you do.

Re-gearing the differentials can get pricey by the time you buy two ring gears, two pinion gears, all the bearings and seals, which aren't absolutely necessary but probably a good idea, and pay the labor you'll be into some serious change - could be a couple grand. It might be cheaper to replace the back axle with a Ford Explorer 8.8 that already has the gearing you want. The 8.8 is a WHOLE bunch stronger.

BTW, it's been said that 31s will rub on a stock TJ, so 33s will require a lift or some serious fender trimming.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 07-23-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:12 PM
Keyboard Implanted

He'll surely require different back spacing on the wheels. I figure he's going with 12.50" cross section. He can get by with just adjusting the steering stops if he goes with 10.50. It will look like a pregnant roller skate without a lift.

He already has 4:10 gearing. He needs 4.88 to get back to stock. I wasn't aware that 8.8 Exlorer axles came in that ratio. I've seen 3.73 and 4:10. But you're right, if he could find one, it would probably be cheaper if this is a YJ. A TJ will require the welding kit for the brackets and buckets.

If he can still find any 33x9.50r15 BFG Mall Terrains, all he needs is a budget boost and steering stop adjustments.

Gary L. Allan, Sr.
Pottstown, PA

If it ain't broke ..fix it 'til it is
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:32 PM

I've read about there being some tall gears in the Explorers, but don't recall exactly what is available. They're all too new for me to pay much attention to.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 07:21 AM
Addict

I was running 29.50 stock tires when I bought my 1995 YJ. They were worn out, bald to say the least, springs were flat, hit the rubber bumpers every time I hit a bump in the road. I changed the springs to a 2.5 RE extreme lift, did a SYE kit, re-abgled my rear, new pads, welded them on, new shocks, then went with a 31 X 10.50 tire. It all but almost killed first gear but when it gets rolling I can do quite well on the road, its just the BIG hills that slow me down. If I want to go higher I have a 1990 YJ and it has the RE 4.5 extreme lift, 35's and a 5.0 engine, I just get into that and motor on down the pike. 33's are a bit to tall without re-gearing both rears.

BOOGER

IKSS now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode