Oil Pressure and Temp Guage on CJ8 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Oil Pressure and Temp Guage on CJ8

So I am slowly trying to fix all the little things on my recently acquired '81 CJ8 Scrambler w/258. On the punch list is a non-functioning temp gauge (or sender) and a similar problem on the oil pressure. I do have a copy of the troubleshooting CJ guages document so I am somewhat familiar with testing procedures. My trouble is before I even get a meter reading.

When I looked at the water temp sensor location (drivers side back/top of block near firewall right?) I find a square block that has two ports, one is closed off with a bolt the other has the following plugged into it

Now I have had a couple of '84 CJs and I was used to seeing a somewhat thin threaded brass/copper looking device with a single connecting post. What is pictured above looks like an oil pressure switch. There are two red wires connected to the sensor via a plug but at the guage side there is the single purple wire as I am accustomed to.

Anyone have any ideas as to why this would be here? Is that a temp sensor? Why two wires, the purple sensor wire with the 90 degree connection bootie is right next to it un connected.

Even more confusing is that when I look at the oil pressure sensor I see a bell shaped unit with a single post on it. Are both these sensors the wrong ones. I get a low ohm reading from the oil pressure sensor (right off the post) of about 24 ohms. This appears to be way out of range.

I will try to post a pic of the engine compartment later on today.

Thanks for any comments on this.

Ask me about my vow of silence!

Last edited by relsner; 07-20-2009 at 04:21 PM. Reason: pic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by relsner View Post
Anyone have any ideas as to why this would be here? Is that a temp sensor? Why two wires, the purple sensor wire with the 90 degree connection bootie is right next to it un connected.
It sounds like itís the oil pressure switch for the electric choke.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 11:39 PM

On the temp gauge, it seems they are using a plumbing fitting to attach more than one sender. Maybe they had an aftermarket gauge running at the same time as the stock gauge?

On the oil pressure, my 83 Scrambler had a plumbing fitting allowing two senders. One of them is the bell-shaped 1-wire. The other is a 2-wire. I believe the 1-wire feeds the stock oil pressure gauge. I think the 2-wire is a safety shut-off switch, if oil pressure goes to low it kills the ignition. Not totally sure about that though. If you go to the parts house and ask for the oil pressure sender, let us know if it's the 1-wire or the 2-wire!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 05:02 AM
Addict

i think you are looking at something else...i realize my 258 is a bit older, but dont see a reason they would've changed location...my temp sender is directly under the thermostat on the front of engine, single wire attaches (well...used to when it was there) similar to a sparkplug (just pushes onto post)...if your gauges are the same as mine, check the wiring on back speedo cluster to make sure nobody boogered it up...search john stenks' gauge page (ill post link when i get online from the house) its a very detailed writeup on this subject

'74 CJ5232 ci,Dana 30 & 44,basically a stock rig with fiber body
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode