Trail Fixes For Other People... - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 07-22-2009, 04:00 PM

My observation is that people appreciate things of all kinds in proportion to what they have to pay for them. I've cut way back on my pro-bono work, except for members of the military and people I like.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 12:51 AM
Journeyman

Can I have a dana 44 for free jim?

Ill really appreciate it!

Haha just messin with ya!

1990 YJ 258 l6 3.5 BDS lift

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)[email protected]=)_)
post #13 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 05:32 AM

Next time there's a spare laying around, it's yours.

B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Journeyman

Haha awesome!

Pretty sure I don't need an axle swap though..

Do need a new AX-15 though.. mines old and has something rattling around inside it.. Im gonna flush it out with gear oil before it breaks something!

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
post #15 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 04:52 PM

There are other possibilities, too: A different transmission with a lower first and a 1:1 top gear, or if you're mainly worried about off-road performance, a transfer case with a shorter low range. Don't know off hand what would be easy to find and swap, but someone here will probably chime in.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #16 of (permalink) Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Journeyman

I don't know anything about transmission gears, so I wouldn't even know where to begin knowing what gearing I want in my next tranny, I would like to keep the $$ output to a minimum on the whole new transmission thing.

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
post #17 of (permalink) Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

GIANT box of Spicer/Timken goodies and some of the better discount store seals and we are back in business!

Finally found a place to sell SPICER U bolts for the U joints!

SPICER U JOINTS, TIMKEN BEARINGS,
ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES!

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
post #18 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 12:55 AM
Journeyman

TR tell me about transmission gearing!

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
post #19 of (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Keyboard Implanted

Interesting topic.

I off-roaded for over 22 years. My philosophy is that I NEVER "expect" anything in return for my good deeds. I've helped many many people, both with my labor, tools, and parts out of my own inventory. I have had people offer me money, and I always say the same thing... "thank you, but I need a deposit in my Karma bank! Then I tell them, please do the same thing for some else in need of help. And as hard as they insist to pay me, I still refuse nicely but very passionately. Strangely, when I'm on the other end of the help stick, I naturally insist that I'm allowed to pay them. If they refuse and they are genuine, it makes me feel good for them.

It is amazing how cheap and chinchy some people can be. I think some people just expect a hand out or free-bee on the trail. I tend to be careful who I help. When I've wheeled with guys that I know from experience are always looking for a hand-out on the trail, I just keep my distance. With the guys I know their principles and have helped and shared their tools, welders, and such, I always look for ways to help them back. Once a close friend built me rear bumper for my truck, he would NOT take nickel for his 3 hours work and materials. At one of the 4-wheel drive events I won a big Hi-Lift Jack in a raffle, and I couldn't wait to give it to him for his Jeep.

I've walked into the shop at my local Toyota dealer looking for some serious technical help for my Toy truck. A mechanic stopped working on a vehicle and spent about 10 minutes with me. Took me over to his library and pulled out the manual and showed me what he talking about. He probably saved me several hundred dollars and didn't realize it. I think I blew him away when I pulled out a $20.00 bill and said "Thank you very much for your time, I want to buy you lunch"!! He refused it, but I insisted and put it back in his hand and I walked away. I felt good.

Once I was at a stop light at lunch time traffic with a big Ford duelie truck beside me. He was cranking the engine, obviously stuck. I rolled down my window and yelled "can I pull you over to the side of road"? He said "Hell yes". I grabbed my snatch strap and pulled in front of him, right in the middle of intersection... cars whiz'n by. He was suprised I hooked up the strap to his front hook and on my rear hook before he could barely get out of his truck. I pulled him around the corner and off to the side. I think he was a little surprised how quickly I yanked his big ass truck around. I got out and he said "Do you know the auto shop around corner?... I said "yeah, I've worked down the street for 6 years".. before he could ask me, I said "Would you like me to pull you there?".. he said "Hell yes". The shop was only another 500 yards away. I was removing my strap when he handed me a $20.00 and said "man, thank you very much"... I said "I can't take your money... besides, that would really hurt my little Toyota's feelings!" He laughed and we shook hands. I felt good.

Hell, there's a bunch of these experiences I can remember, some not as good.

Remember, if it weren't all those bad people, us really nice people wouldn't go to heaven!!

gNARLS

Last edited by Gnarly4X; 07-25-2009 at 11:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode