Red light on Dash Blinking, Jeep Won't Start - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Red light on Dash Blinking, Jeep Won't Start

I haven't been around in a while since I haven't had any problems with the jeep because I've been working too much, but here is my problem....

94 YJ 6cyl.

The battery went bad so I bought a new one today and installed. The post clamp on the positive was really rough also so I replaced it today too. After hooking all wires and cables back up, the hazard lights flashing for 15-30secs and a little red light just to the right of the steering column won't stop blinking and the jeep won't turn over. I took everything apart 3 times to make sure it was right and it looks fine to me. I ended up checking the starting by using a screw driver to cross the solenoid and it start up and ran fine but the red light is still blinking while running and after I shut it off, it won't start again.

Any suggestion? Bad connection somewhere? The new post clamp that I bought just has 2 bolts that squeeze a little metal strip on to both red cables? Could this cause a lousy connection? I don't figure it would since I can cross the started solenoid and it starts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 05:01 PM
Way Outta Control

I doubt it's a bad connecton. Some of the YJ series, when the battery was low, it caused havoc with the ECM. It could be toast. I'd have it tested...

Now what red light are you talking about?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 08:03 PM
Journeyman

Hah I got this! Its most likely an alarm locking your ignition... which would make since, you changed batteries which restarted your computer causing your alarm to turn on. Happened to me all the time when I would undo my battery and reconnect it, If it is what I think it is what you could do is hit the valet switch...

Turn your key as if you were to crank it over and then push a button that is under your dash near the ebrake. it will push up towards the steering wheel and should be the only little button there, I would post a picture but I ripped my alarm system out for this exact reason.

Should be the same as my 90 YJ.. I hope

And as for the red light... it is the light signifying your alarm is active

Good Luck

-Phoenix

1990 YJ 258 l6 3.5 BDS lift

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)[email protected]=)_)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 09:00 PM
Way Outta Control

Phoenix, doesn't that alarm shut down the ignition system so that it won't run even if you manage to electrically crank the starter motor manually?
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 12:22 AM
Journeyman

Hmmm thats a good question, I am not quite sure as I never tried to manually start it.

The way it was for me was it seemed like I couldn't really turn the key all the way, I am not sure how advanced the ignition lock was on the alarm back on the YJ model. Try my suggestion and if that doesn't work then I will fish my alarm out and see what I can figure out with that. Maybe some of the other guys on the board will have suggestions.

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

I can't find a button by the the e-brake to push...It acts more like and alarm system because I hook the lights back up to the button at the door (when you open the door the lights come on and that annoying noisy too, until you close the door)when you push the button in and let go of it (like the door opening) the hazards start flashing and there is a clicking noisy in the dash.

Any more on where to find this button?
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Journeyman

Mmm well my button was located between my e-brake and my posi-lok it was like a little plate with a small hole in it where the button sat, it could be possible the button was pushed up into the plate but unlikely.

The plate that the button was mounted to was where that small hole is between the e-brake and posi-lok if its not there continue to look around other spots under the dash on the drivers side. It could have been moved to some other location.

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 03:27 PM
Way Outta Control

There's a jillion types of aftermarket alarms out there, some will let you push start it - or jump the solenoid, some won't. Ya never know unless you have the original instructions for it.

As far as where the light is and where a reset button is - if they even have them, it's optional to the installer. They/it could be anywhere.

Find the alarm box - usually pushed up under the dash - but could be most anywhere - trace the wires to the ignition harness. You'll find a splices where the installer cut and spliced in the alarm wires - usually a butcher job.

Put the wiring back to original.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Problem Solved

I found a switch on the tub body right beside the ebrake this morning. I just got time to get back to the computer so I have some pics to post so everyone can see what I have. I turned the key to start and flip the switch and now its working fine. This one has a switch and not a button like yours.

Thanks for the help like always. I have yet to have a problem go unsolved with you all.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Jeep Security Light.jpg (88.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg Jeep Security Switch.jpg (91.8 KB, 2 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-12-2009, 09:41 PM
Journeyman

Hey, glad to help you with the problem..

I know how it feels since it happened to me too

-Phoenix

/l , [____],
l---L--[]lllllll[]-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode