ford engine specs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

ford engine specs

Iv'e got a 351W in my sled that is in need of rebuilding or replacing...not sure of the best route. The engine is out of an 84 crown vic with towing package, 2V carb. Is there any way of knowing the specs of this cam and if it has good low end torque? I assume if I buy a reman, it will have these same specs, unless it is a custom build. I surly don't need my jeep to roll down the freeway at 75 like I can imagine a crown vic. I could be way off, but I wouldn't think this engine to have good low end, except it is a towing pckge, if that means anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 09:40 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Has the "tired" 351W let you down? Do you think you need more OOMPH? or something?

I'm in a very similar boat, as I'm "looking into" replacing the 5.0 Ford in my Jeep. My engine came from a 90 Crown Vic.

I've considered going reman myself as a "cheap" alternative to the custom rebuild ($$). I haven't come up with my ultimate answer yet. And the 5.0 is still running.

But I can't imagine that the 351 is letting you down. If my stock 5.0 is getting my Jeep everywhere I want to go..... your Winsor motor has to be doing just fine. I gotta believe a "stock" remanned motor would suit you.

One thing I've considered is buying a reman engine for an F150, Bronco, or Explorer. I figured these "truck" applications would have a better torque rating than the family car applications......... but there are plenty of people running the 5.0 from a Mustang.........

...... but that's just my thinking...... not sure it has much validation.......

What are you trying to gain with the FRESH engine? As I'm sure even a stock engine would do good compared to an older, high mileage engine.....

Now..... where's the pics??
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I would agree that a sound, well tuned 351W (or 302) in stock form is plenty of engine for a jeep. I knew the engine wasn't sound when I installed it. Sounds stupid, but at the time I figured this engine mocked in place would allow me to move on with the project, knowing I would have to deal with the engine when the cashola was there. Iv'e had fun with this wore out engine also, so I do not regret this move. I am in the latter stages of the build. The engine has seen no road time and mild off road time around my farm, but it has not let me down during this limited use. Even with horrible gearing, the engine does not feel weak and does not sound like it is running rough. she's got low oil pressure 20 psi, and low/inconsistant compression. The head are fresh and new rings did not help, I feel sure that the cyls. are out of spec. I wish I weren't so indecisive. I can't decide between hauling this block to the shop for machining and assembling it myself or a reman. My ultimate goal is a reliable (SBF) engine.

did you ask for pics? I do not know how to get them on here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-05-2011, 11:18 PM

There are many things such as defective high tension wires, defective cap and/or rotor, old or fouled or poorly adjusted plugs. Also take a look at the #7 and 8 spark plug wire routing. They should NOT be beside one another, they must have wires 5 and 6 between them from the distributor up to the holder atop the valve cover. As they fire consecutively one sometimes tends to also fire the other. This is clearly indicated in any Ford manual for this ignition system.

Last edited by ddunk80; 03-05-2013 at 08:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode