HELP with my horn - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

HELP with my horn

05 tj, Horn just started to go off... recently the only things that Ive done electrical... new light switch on column 2weeks ago, and last week left top off and the jeep got rained on.
Today working in basement and the horn started to blow unhooked horn at the horn, cycled the key and plugged the horn in...it was quiet (untill I made it back to the basement (5min) then started to blow again. the horn blows constant (no short blasts or on-off... just constant).
Any ideas?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 12:00 AM
Keyboard Implanted

There should be a relay in the PDC (the little black box under the hood). If you're lucky, it's just corroded a path to energize itself. Pull it and look. Swap it will another (there should be a few identical to it) and see if the condition disappears with the horn ..and emerges somewhere else.

If you're not that lucky, then it's a hunting mission. I'd be suspecting that water got into the horn switch with some dirt and is bridging out the contacts in the steering wheel. That's a bit more complicated with the air bag and clock spring. I've never had it off, personally.

I'd probably be playing like a chimp with a whiffle ball bat to avoid taking it apart (leaving the wheel inverted or other various angles - disconnecting the battery and spraying plastic safe volatiles in there - banging the horn area of the wheel ..etc..etc) ..but I'm lazy

Gary L. Allan, Sr.
Pottstown, PA

If it ain't broke ..fix it 'til it is
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeAea View Post
I'd probably be playing like a chimp with a whiffle ball bat to avoid taking it apart...
That's GREAT!
What a mental image that congers up!

Good laugh with morning coffee!

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2009, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

ok, I must be in the chimp wiffel ball league... unhooked the horn at the horn for few hours, and drove around for about 2 miles tapped the horn button about 10-20 times, hooked the horn back up and it hasnt gone off yet. I havnt checked to see if it works though) Jeep did say the switch might be over sinsitive and with the temp change it could have expanded the button contact great now I have a jeep with feelings
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode