trailer tires - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

trailer tires

Last night pulling the race car home from the track we ran over a dead rabbit or something small like that. Well a bone cut the tire. Luckily we were close to home and just made it in the driveway. I figured i would just patch the tire and put it back in service. Well its a slice not a hole. So the tire is junk.

Here is the problem. The tires are orginal to the trailer and about 15 years old. One other one was run low on air before i bought the trailer and the tire is worn funny.

I do trust the other tires, there arent dry rotten at all and dont have any plugs or patches.

Well so here are my questions.

1. replace them all with bias ply tires

2. replace them all with radial tires.

3. replace two with bias ply and run two new and two old.

And no i wont run car tires. My trailer has 14 wheels and 14 inch car tires just are strong enough.

So what are everyone thoughts on radial vs bias ply trailer tires. I have never towed a trailer that had radials trailer tires.

thanks

What????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 AM
Veteran

15 years old? Time for new TRAILER/TOWING tires...

Trailer/Towing tires have stiffer side walls and keep the trailer from 'Swinging' or 'Dancing' around behind you so much...

They usually have harder rubber compounds so they don't get punctured as easily...

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 12:58 PM
Mud in my Veins

Been pondering the switch to radials myself bro...

Like you:
- My trailer tires are old bias ply, not dry rotted, but worn funny
- Will NOT run regular Load Range "C" auto tires
- Experienced a blown tire a couple years back and could only find a radial ($$$$) replacement in BFE east TN. Of course, 3 days after I return from the trip, a bud gave me another new bias already mounted

I've been told that running a mix of bias & radials is a bad combo, just like on a vehicle. We all know that running radials on the front & bias on the rear should technically never be a problem... however, get into an accident with that towed load and watch the investigators (LEO & insurance) break out the microscope looking to find fault/excuse to deny a claim!

I'm also debating a set of radial "D" range trailer tires. I *think* they can be sourced reasonably from the 2-3 travel trailer places (they use the same weird size & load range) within 5 miles of the house. My trailer is used almost exclusively on 2-4 hour (1 way) jaunts at highway speeds and maybe the radials could eek out another MPG from the towrig?

However, I LOVE the toughness of a bias tire! Both the current trailer tires & Swampers on the Jeep have proven themselves over & over... where *everyone* I know running radials on their trailers has constant issues (brand new radials blowing out after a few 100 miles, cupping, etc)! The local wheelers seem to think it's a manufacturer/brand issue, but LoMod has had problems with the "preferred" brand. I may have read that radial trailer tires are only expected to live (tread wise) for some ridiculously low mile count?

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 05:40 PM
Veteran

I ran bias, radials, truck, car, every kind of 'Common' tire I could get my hands on, and they all moved around too much,
Plus around here, they 'Dry Rot' like crazy,
And one time dragging them over a parking curb or rock trying to get in or out of some place killed the sidewalls...

Went with a regular trailer tire.
Ran about $65 each
(mounted, balanced, installed with new valves,
AND for $5 more a tire, with road hazard warranty!)
from 'Big O' tire chain, and haven't looked back since.

Killed two in the last 6 years or so, sidewall damage, and they gave me FREE replacements without argument.

I asked about dry rotting/cracking,
Free replacements if they dry rot within 5 years,
So I think I'm due for a couple more 'Road Hazard' problems in the next few months.

And it says 'Radial' on the side, but the sidewalls are 5 plies instead of the usual passenger vehicle 2 ply tires, so I don't get the trailer moving around, jumping up and down or doing any other stupid things even when I have it loaded top heavy!

post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-05-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

Been reading some info online today

From what i read it seems the radial trailer tires just dont hold up all that well. I found complaints about the good ones and the cheap ones.

I believe im going to stay with bias ply. Worked well enough for the last 9 fo me. Never had any problems. I hate to get rid of these tires. They are to trustworthy.

What????
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 02:44 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Bias ply trailer tire,,, you know what I do with mine,,, I won't run anything else.

Finally wore 2 of them out this year that have been running for 4 years. That trailer sees more miles than most peoples car.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I ended up going with bias ply. I also moved up to 15in with bronco II alum wheels. The 15in tires ended up about a inch taller and well that will save the bearings a little.

After talking to the tire shop, he said he hasnt really had a lot of problems with the bias, he has had some problems with the radials. He blamed most of it on over loading and under inflation. I personally think the radials just cant take the heat like bias do.

What????
post #8 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 09:21 AM
Veteran

I give up....

Went out and found ANOTHER flat tire on the trailer!

Next time it's getting 4 or 6 ply side wall bias ply tires!

I'm so sick of this....

I've been meaning to switch this trailer over to actual trailer tires for a while, but didn't get around to it...
Now I guess I have to!

post #9 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I know your pain,, I have brand new radials on the little trailer, (less than 7000lb) there is only one tire that will hold air more than a day.

Ya only go around once, best to enjoy it the first trip.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 07-30-2009, 10:10 PM

Good choice Jim and I agree with Jeff.

BIAS Trailer all the way. They do what they are supposed to do. And no........I don't want anything close to that on anything I drive. A trailer is a whole differnt issue.

Good choice bro and X2 on the step to 15".

BUY MY CUSTOM STICKERS!!!!!!

((good women are REALLY hard to find! She buys me Jeep parts, never complains when I buy guns, Jeep parts,
And she makes GREAT sausage gravy!)TR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode