When I bought the D44 rear it had a Detroit E-Z Locker in it. It worked for about six months, but I was never entirely satisfied with it. The clanging and banging on the street were terribly annoying, and I couldn't help thinking about how it was wearing my tires. Even with the tire pressures equalized to the best of my ability, it would always pull lightly one way or the other when driving in a straight line.
Lately it took to jumping two or three teeth at a time, and one cold morning didn't hook up at all until I very gently eased the clutch out. Then, at The Bash, it just spun with a nasty ratcheting sound when I tried to climb a sand hill.
Just in the last week I got time to take it apart and here's what was wrong:
One side thrust washer was worn so thin that it was disintegrating. The play put the dog clutch a little too far away to engage fully. Also, the cross shaft was so worn that it was probably letting the clutches out of alignment.
And this is why it's headed form the scrap bin:
All four of the alignment pin holes were cracked through on the spring side of the clutch, and three of the receiver holes were also cracked. I don't know what caused the cracking, but my guess is that the worn cross shaft let the clutches flop around which put too much strain on the pins. Anyway, Will sent a set of spider gears, so now it's an open differential again.