O/T When it's your time to go! - Page 4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 09:14 AM
Addict

not trying to stir things up worse than they alreay are but I would like to make one correction from a post above... cows (bovines) do NOT have 4 stomachs. They have one stomach with 4 different chambers, rumen, reticulum, omasum, and the abomasum. I did not copy and paste this info. and I realize that I probably spelled the names wrong but I don't claim to be perfect.

I'm not your average blonde bimbo....I'm above average!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep girl View Post
not trying to stir things up worse than they alreay are but I would like to make one correction from a post above... cows (bovines) do NOT have 4 stomachs. They have one stomach with 4 different chambers, rumen, reticulum, omasum, and the abomasum. I did not copy and paste this info. and I realize that I probably spelled the names wrong but I don't claim to be perfect.
DING! DING! DING! DING!

WE HAVE A WINNER!...

AND she gets extra points because she DID spell the four chambers of the cows stomach correctly!
Big thumbs up to the Kentucky girl!

Not that she answered the question why cow poop and horse poop look different when they are eating from the same pasture,
But she's onto the correct answer!

(and our internet- "Know It All" bunch didn't have a clue!)
----------------------------------------

The 'Cow' has a 4 chambered stomach...
And that gets 'Cattle' classified as a 'Ruminant',
A 'Ruminant is an animal that has more than one stomach, or a multi-chambered stomach.

The chambers are named the rumen, reticulum, omasum, and abomasum, and the four chambers mean that cattle will regurgitate the food they eat and re-chew it several times, breaking down the cellulose & fibers, and working in the digestive fluids as they re-chew the food over again.
This is called 'Chewing Cud'...

The process of chewing, digestive soaking, chewing, digesting soaking in a different compartment, (repeat) breaks down the fibrous material more,
And makes more of the fibrous cellulose digestible to them.

'Cows' also consume more water (per weight) than cows do,
Between the more thorough breakdown, processing and digestion of the grasses and materials they eat, combined with the consumption of more water,
Will result in a 'Runny', fairly well broken down waste material...
----------------------------

Where Horses have a SINGLE CHAMBERED stomach, much like Humans have, and the digestive tract of a horse does not break down the fibrous materials, nor do they 'Chew Cud' to break the fibers down more...

Hence the 'Waste' of a horse will contain much more of the solids and fibers of the plants it ingests, which the digestive tract 'Balls Up' during the digestive process...

Giving the distinctive 'Road Apple' shape every country kid has seen a million times!

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...

Last edited by TeamRush; 06-22-2009 at 01:10 PM.
post #33 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 02:33 PM
Official Curmudgeon

NEWS FLASH

Everybody Ė It was not a real question

It was a misdirection and I see how easily it worked on some.

I only provided the links to remind Rich we had been down that road before and he did not include all of the detail of the first telling.

A cow having 4 stomachs is a generally accepted and overlooked misnomer. Itís like saying 4-cylinder Jeep. Itís not a 4-cylinder Jeep. It doesnít even have a 4-cylinder engine. It has an engine with 4 cylindrical shaped CHAMBERS.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Last edited by CJ7Taz; 06-22-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:00 PM
Addict

another fun fact about cows... no top teeth

as for the make up of their fecal matter... a lot depends on their grazing enviroment. cattle here in the eastern half of the US graze on mostly fescue based grass. cattle in the west graze on more native grasses which are considered a hard grass. I visted Mel Gibsons ranch in Columbus, MT once and his GM told me they could run approx. one cow/calf pair per 36 acres. We can run a pair on approx. one and a half acres here in KY. the ranchers in the west don't fertilize pastures or reseed either.

Chill out Taz, I like talking about cows

I'm not your average blonde bimbo....I'm above average!!

Last edited by jeep girl; 06-23-2009 at 11:19 AM.
post #35 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 PM
Veteran

Hang taz on the ignore list, and this forum will be SO much better for you!

Anyway, cattle, and some horses, are part of the family 'Farm' here for us,
And the entire area is an agriculture based economy, so if you can't talk 'Farm'... There really isn't any need to open your mouth around here.

We have the usual group of mouth breathing "Deliverance Extras" hanging around,
But we also have a large population of forward looking, extremely intelligent farm owners and mangers.
Since about all farms in the area are independently owned (not corporate owned) these guys can't be dummies and stay in business for very long!

Personally, I spent a lot of time cross breeding livestock when I was younger...
Charolais & white faced Hereford with Semital for really good eating meat, but with longer legs that faired the winter better...

Also raised some 'Beef-a-Lows',
Charolais mixed with Buffalo (north American Bison)...
Got some REALLY good meat that was lower in total fats and saturated fats than regular beef.

Also raised Paint and Quarter Horses.
Actually had a Paint that was a Tennessee Walker at one time!
Don't think that didn't freak people out!

Anyway, I do better with gears and wires than livestock.
I don't have to clean stalls when my cars just sit around doing nothing!

Now, if you want to start talking pigs, turkeys, chickens, ect.
I'm lost!
I had NOTHING to do with them!
I can tell a pig from a dog, and a chicken from a duck, but that's about it!

post #36 of (permalink) Old 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
Way Outta Control

The 4 stomachs aren't unusual. A lady that lived next door at least looked like she had 4, maybe even more! Gross!

My original post about they "eat the same diet" was for Taz or Dale - their answer was supposed to be "I dunno." Or with Taz, a 19 page plagiarized documentary as to why.

Then I was going to ask why he professes to know anything about Jeeps, electricity or most anything when "he doesn't know Sh--!"

But obviously he's been asked that many many times previously and finally caught on.

But it's laughable that so many didn't catch on.
post #37 of (permalink) Old 06-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRich View Post
The 4 stomachs aren't unusual. A lady that lived next door at least looked like she had 4, maybe even more! Gross!

My original post about they "eat the same diet" was for Taz or Dale - their answer was supposed to be "I dunno." Or with Taz, a 19 page plagiarized documentary as to why.

Then I was going to ask why he professes to know anything about Jeeps, electricity or most anything when "he doesn't know Sh--!"

But obviously he's been asked that many many times previously and finally caught on.

But it's laughable that so many didn't catch on.
I was going to answer it, but I though I'd poke taz a while before I did...
Seems he's NOT smarter than a 5th grader!...
Cause in 5th grade around here, the kids are showing cattle, helping butcher, and starting in with the farm programs...

Jeep Girl let the cat out of the bag, so I though I'd give specifics...
She was on the right track...
And STILL ahead of taz and dale!

Anyway, I'm sure you can come up with SOMETHING that will 'Stump The Chumps' again!

I'm still waiting for them to answer three of five questions that came out of a grade school kids leaflet my nephew dragged home...
Not a peep from the 'Experts' yet!

Turns out someone's grand kids answered two of the questions! Once again, whipped by 5th graders, (or even younger!)!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode