Delco 3wire Alt. Troubleshooting - Page 2 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Official Curmudgeon

We can deal with your lies and false accusations later.

For now, I’ll repeat the question you are avoiding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7Taz View Post
So how is it that current from the alternator output can provide excitation to the rotor but current from the feed to the field terminal can’t? Maybe because the connector to field terminal is dirty/corroded not making good contact?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRush View Post
Anyway, you should get an UPDATED schematic with the regulators that are used now if you want to impress anyone.
He says HE’S had it for 8 years and in his words, is “of unknown origin” prior to that.

Why do you so obstinately and stubbornly oppose simply cleaning a couple of terminals before you pronounce it dead?

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Last edited by CJ7Taz; 06-10-2009 at 07:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Way Outta Control

Taz - the first reply to the problem was yours - cleaning connections and running a ground wire.

Why do you ASSume you weren't listened to, or that the OP ignored you?

TR elaborated on the different alternators - but since you'd already suggested it he didn't repeat what you said. That information should be known by everyone that's doing a conversion.
If it's redundant, it's easy to ignore it.
If it applies, it will save someone a ton of grief.

If he had repeated your suggestion of cleaning and running a ground wire (like he has many times in the past,) you would have been insulted he repeated your advice.

Now since he didn't repeat it, he's bad again because he didn't repeat your advice.

As always, everything with you becomes a no win situation.

It's obvious to everyone here you are just here to argue (I'll bet you'll even argue with that statement, proving it.)

Time to get a life!
post #13 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Keyboard Implanted

oh how i love these kind of posts.

TR your post saved us from digging under a ton of hoods looking for the 3 wire. We have just about run out of them at the yard. Its getting harder to find them and they just dont come in that much anymore.

What????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiac58 View Post
oh how i love these kind of posts.

TR your post saved us from digging under a ton of hoods looking for the 3 wire. We have just about run out of them at the yard. Its getting harder to find them and they just dont come in that much anymore.
That's exactly my point.

I had a web site called 'Junk Yard Genius' and it was about using what you find in the salvage yard and making something useful out of it.

With CS series alternators coming out of the salvage yard for $15 and discount auto parts stores throwing around lifetime warranty units for $40 & $50 regularly,
There really isn't any reason NOT to upgrade when your current SI series buys the farm.

I was sourced a replacment from NAPA, one year warranty for '79 Jeep CJ (run of the mill 10 SI) and the price was $108!

Even NAPA only wanted $68 for a CS series alternator!

Anyway, some people will drag feet when the firemen are trying to get them out of a burning house,
So if taz or anyone else wants to keep the SI alternator,
Or use one that has a bad regulator in it,
I'm just fine with that!

I gave a CLEAR, CONCISE, COMPLETE answer to the OP, instead of telling him he's too stupid to do basic maintinance...
So I feel good about my contribution!

My post wasn't just padding the count...
AND,
It pertained ENTIRELY to Short Wheel Base Jeeps,
And I hope Helped another user...
post #15 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRich View Post
Taz - the first reply to the problem was yours - cleaning connections and running a ground wire.

Why do you ASSume you weren't listened to, or that the OP ignored you?

TR elaborated on the different alternators - but since you'd already suggested it he didn't repeat what you said. That information should be known by everyone that's doing a conversion.

If he had repeated your suggestion of cleaning and running a ground wire (like he has many times in the past,) you would have been insulted he repeated your advice.

Now since he didn't repeat it, he's bad again because he didn't repeat your advice.
Actually, the symptoms don't really indicate a dirty connection.

Dirty connections that cause alternators to fail are RARE!
It's usually burned through or broken off connections, not dirty ones that are the issue...

I think the biggest problem with him posting this crap is,
He hates to be upstaged, but doesn't have any real, first hand technical experience with anything.

Quote:

It's obvious to everyone here you are just here to argue (I'll bet you'll even argue with that statement, proving it.)

Time to get a life!
I agree. He really does need to find something constructive to do with his time...
This forum obviously isn't making him 'Happy' or every post from him wouldn't read like crap smears on an outhouse wall.

He's just bored and miserable, and likes to try and make others as miserable as he is...

I did take a while to take, process (resize, format, and in some cases, apply text to) pictures,

It did take time to draw the wiring diagrams I do,

Since I deal with this stuff every day, it didn't take too long to post up the stuff about the alternators, diagnosing problems, or doing the conversion/upgrade...

I choose to do stuff for my web sites, work helping others, and generally trying to make stuff a little better than when I got here...
That kind of stuff passes the time for me, and generally makes me happy...

Taz is my opposite.
He would prefer trying to do spell checking on threads he couldn't keep up with...
Trying to discredit actual useful information.
I'm sure in his eyes, that makes him 'King Of The Thread' or whatever...

OK with me, I don't have to live with him and it's my fault again because I had taken the 'BLOCK TAZ' thing off when the forum was screwing up since it seemed like he might have something useful to say for once...
(shame on me, but I'm an optimist!)

I've got the filters back in place, so his trolls won't be a problem from here on out, I've leaned my lesson (AGAIN!)
----------------------------------

I don't know, when I get down on myself or others, I like to go WHEELING or make a pass by the gun range!
That ALWAYS brightens me up!

Now that you don't get a visit by guys that sock a hood over your head and cart you off in the middle of the night to who knows where when you espouse your opinion....

I got some G.W. Bush targets that are TOO FUNNY!
I paid too much for them, and I had to go shoot them in the rain just to see what they did...
If you shoot GWB enough times in the bullseye, "Dick" Cheney Falls out the bottom pointing a gun at YOU!

They are about $3 each, but they are FUN!

Something else that always makes me feel better since retirement is going by and seeing if I can help with the Habitat For Humanity.
They are always needing SKILLED people that can do wiring or plumbing, and I don't have to kill my back, I can quit and go home at any point...

Seeing that I'm MUCH BETTER OFF than many other people makes my 'Issues' seem pretty small....
post #16 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2009, 11:28 PM
Veteran

Something you CAN do if you get stuck out there in the middle of nowhere with an Excite circuit that isn't working,
(common on old regulators)

(I'm sure this will show up on Dale's website later and 5 years from now Taz will swear he 'Gave' this to the world...)

There is a little 'D' shaped hole in the back of the alternator case on the SI series under the regulator,
It's marked 'Test Hole' in this Image,

TOP, 'D' shaped 'Test Hole',
BOTTOM, The 'Tab' you will be trying to reach and ground while watching the voltage meter...

If you stick a small screw drive, or stiff bare wire in there, and ground the small tab on the regulator you will hit in there to the alternator case,
You should be able to manually excite the alternator,
AND,
The alternator will go 'Full Field' at the same time.

For self excite, you only want to 'Spark' the Test terminal on the regulator, just tap it and get right back off the terminal...

If you are wanting to test the alternator to see if what ever is going wrong with it is the regulator or some of the hard parts,
Then ground the test terminal to see if the voltage jumps right up and goes right back down when you let off the test terminal...
If it produces current like crazy (Unregulated, so the current can reach WAY over the usual 14.5 volts, so don't leave the terminal grounded for long!)
Then it's the REGULATOR that is acting up,
If it DOES NOT produce high current right away, then it's probably some of the internal hard parts that need replaced...

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...

Last edited by TeamRush; 06-10-2009 at 11:38 PM.
post #17 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:35 AM
Official Curmudgeon

Quote:

It was none of that. I took offense to TR’s very first sentence in his reply. I'll quote it again for you, exclamation point and all:
Quote:
HOW ABOUT SOME USABLE INFORMATION!
That could have been directed at my first post, it could have been self-serving or a combination of both.

We find out later:
Quote:
Shame you couldn't use some of that for helping people out (like you could have in your fist post) instead of just making arguments and padding post counts...

Even though, Caver asks what time it is and TR gives a sketchy description of how a watch works. Even though TR seems to make a wrong diagnosis that the regulator is bad. Even though TR wanders into making comments about what he calls 'Jelly Roll' batteries when the question is about the alternator. Even though TR comments about the problems of rapidly charging those batteries and then later recommends a 33% higher current output alternator. Even with all that, without that first sentence, I’d have let it be.

Quote:
Taz -- your post # 8 --

""""Correct, self excitation."""" ?????????????

Again?

We can tell.
It was a subtle remark. The proper term is excitation. Now I’m no stickler on it and have used excite and excited myself, but it hit me as odd that TR didn’t use the proper term even using a cumbersome phrase;

Quote:
'Excite' circuit
rather than excitation circuit.

It struck me as so odd that I did a search on the board for “excitation”. You’ve used it a lot. Other people have used it. But, for all of his posts about alternators, TeamRush or as Junk Yard Genius (his alternate Mensa member personality) has never used the word. Seems a little strange for an expert on alternators.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
post #18 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 07:39 PM
Apprentice

I'm excited!

77 CJ5 Glass body V-8 3SPD
post #19 of (permalink) Old 06-11-2009, 11:56 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddogeone View Post
I'm excited!
Try not to wet yourself!

SO!
Did the OP get his answers, and/or is he up and running yet?

So Many Cats, So Few Recipes...
post #20 of (permalink) Old 06-13-2009, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Did the OP get his answers, and/or is he up and running yet?
Questions answered. Still running the SI, but will change it out for the CS model (for TBI "health").

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode