Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Spring sliding during turn (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/232440-spring-sliding-during-turn.html)

homepagez 06-07-2009 06:26 PM

Spring sliding during turn

Hey folks,

I noticed my front spring (rear attach point) is sliding when the jeep is turning. Looks like the nylon (they are made out of nylon yes?) spacers/inserts are gone and there is now play in the spring mount.

This looks like an easy fix - yes?

Thanks,

-John

homepagez 06-07-2009 08:07 PM

Correcting my own post. :)

I am speaking of the polyurethane bushings on the spring mount.

Are these hard to replace?

-John

bandhmo2 06-07-2009 11:03 PM

They can be a pain or they can be easy. The biggest problem is getting the old ones out if they are rusted in or just do not want to come. Since you have poly bushings they are replacements as the factory ones are rubber, so hopefully they come out easy.

GoldToyBox 06-09-2009 01:21 PM

Yes, yours are either worn out or the wrong ones installed (it happens). If one side is failing then the other side may not be far behind. Check it out.

Easy job with the right tools, not so easy (like previously mentioned) if they are rusted in.

buckshot500 06-13-2009 07:42 AM

The rusting problem is actually the inner steel sleeve of the rubber bushing.

It's likely gonna be rusted ( actually rust welded)to the the long bolt that goes through it.

You'll take off the nut, & use up all your strength trying to get that bolt to come out.

I even tried using a huge puller, & it kept slipping off. Even put the nut back on until it was flush with the end of the bolt, then hammering it.

PB blaster didn't even help. Once it finally moved a little, I was able to use prybars to get it a little further out. Then some blocks of wood to extend the prying action, saved the day.:grin:

Coat the new bolts with anti-seize, before putting them in!;)

gojeepin 06-13-2009 08:14 AM

I had to resort to a cutoff wheel. The bolt was loose but the steel bushing was fused to it. Since I figured I'd spend hours trying to pull/hammer it out, I just cut the bolt/sleeve off... saved a lot of people from learning a whole new language.