post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

OT: IKEA to buy Jeep?

That is what I heard

Some assembly required !

Yeah, I know it is not a Jeep TR.

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 02:47 PM
Keyboard Implanted

sad thing is that it costs more to buy a vehicle like that than it does already assembled.

now... how many parts can you identify? and yes resolution and qlarity of the photo are part of the challenge.

The belief in a supernatural source of evil is not necessary; men alone are quite capable of every wickedness. - Joseph Conrad
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 03:57 PM
Enthusiast

Well Obama has done his best to dismantle the American auto industry and control what's left so why wouldn't Jeep be next. I'm fed up with it. The problem is once the damage is done, it's done never to return again. But it is obvious that Americans don't care about our auto industry, let alone our Country by the lack of outcries over what Obama is doing (not to mention the millions of dollars spent by Americans on Hondas, Toyotas, and the like), so why wouldn't Jeep be next. After all, Hummer is going to the Chinese. What's next, Boeing? The Chinese have had their eye on that prize (read - our technology so they can dominate the world quicker) for a long time.

Anybody who thinks I am just a cranky old fool is the fool in this case.

1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout D300, 2 1/2" Lift, Locked Front/Back
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

A little revolution is a good thing. Living off the weak is not. We have to compete, pure and simple. You have to be efficient and effective to survive, we have forgotten that.

Yes, you are a cranky old fool who lives in the past and expects too much for those who have not earned it.

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Way Outta Control

Looks like Fiat wants Jeep. Who is the biggest stockholder in Fiat?

You guessed it, Moumar Khadafi! Maybe that's why President Huessain says the US is a major Muslim country.

Us old guys have it made, we've lived through the greatest years, the most prosperous, and enjoyed the most freedom of any country ever. We got the "prime time."

By the time the country has been totally destroyed, we won't have to be here to see it end.

I did my part - I didn't have any kids, they voted for his situation, they have to live with it.

Is the next generation of Jeep really to be made from your melted down guns?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 PM
Enthusiast

Scott-

Slow down, I'm not for living on the weak; I'm a Reaganomics capitalistic conservative. The right thing to do with the automakers would have been to let them file for bankruptcy when this all came to a head but Obama didn't want that because he owes the unions. Now don't get me wrong it's not my intention to dish on all of the unions, some have a place and I believe we need living wage jobs etc, but in the case of the auto workers they pumped up the contracts to the point the Big Three couldn't compete. If the American companies could have gone BK and had a judge rework the near full paycheck and full health coverage after retirement benefits the employees get they may have been saved with less fanfare and pain. Granted management has to carry some of the blame here too but again it is the unions that strangled the life out of the companies. In this case the payoff is the unions now own a good chunk of the company. Remember the 1980 union strike against International? It was a classic case in point as IH never produced a non commercial vehicle again.

As far as Fiat they did not have to put one dime into this deal but get 35% of the pie, a US outlet for their cars, and day to day operation of the company. Obama has majority control so don't think for a minute he is going to point the way and that is not all good. With Hummer, China an unabashed communist country with the sole ambition of world dominance not only has their foot in the door of the US auto market but they now have access to all of the technology that comes with it plus we add to the Chinas ability to feed their army with more of our dollars. One last thing, why would we want to give the profits to others than ourselves and just how long does everyone think we can continue to buy more goods (read: give away our treasure/dollars) than we sell to other countries before something has to give?

And RRICH is right, our guns are next.

1978 CJ5, AMC 401, CJ T18, Scout D300, 2 1/2" Lift, Locked Front/Back
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

I call BS: Rich, look at some news since the 80's: (and learn to speel his name )

Quote:
Agnelli always denied this was the case. Under Western pressure, however, he got up the money to buy back Gaddafi's Fiat shares in a controversial financial transaction that caused immense losses to several Western banks, while affording the Libyan leader a huge gain on his original investment.
Death of Fiat patriarch end of an era for Italy - smh.com.au

The tin hat mentality has done more damage than just sitting on your hands.

Risk is inherent in growth, it is time us US boys (and Gals) stop talking and start doing. There is a time when you sink, swim or talk yourself to death. I have a good feeling it is time for us mutts to blunder forward and come out successful as our great-grandfathers did.

This message is brought to you tonight by Corona, without a lime (roughing it )

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Keyboard Implanted

ST: I stand corrected, you may be cranky, you may be elderly, and just only be 'confused' at times Sheeple you are not.

Quote:
management has to carry some of the blame here too but again it is the unions that strangled the life out of the companies

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:51 PM
Way Outta Control

Our great grandfathers did not have government interfering with business.

Left alone, supply and demand worked fine, until so called "educated?" people that never held a real job in their life started dictating how it should be. Just look at the politicians of today!

When this country was on the upswing, government followed, and adhered to the Constitution as our forefathers intended it.

The Federal government was to deal with foreign countries and squabbles between states - not individuals. Only the Bill of Rights addresses the individual.
State governments were intended to deal with counties, not the individual.
Only counties and cities addressed the individual - or taxed them.

Now all levels of government tax you. What you earn is no longer yours. Look at your paycheck! (Welfare people are different - what's theirs they didn't earn, you did.)

It's very obvious this is the end of an era.

I need to find out how I can become an illegal alien, I need the money and tax breaks.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2009, 11:53 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

I believe most brands are getting what they deserve as far as being downsized and streamlined. However, from what I've read, Jeep is the only line making Chrysler money and according to the local dealer, they (Wranglers specifically) are still selling and not with the huge discounts the other brands are giving.

I am optimistic that whoever ends up in control will see that a solid, reliable, multi-purpose vehicle can, and will, sell. If they build on an already proven platform, but don't over do it, they will continue to do well.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode