Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   steering box (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/232303-steering-box.html)

Shatteredglass 05-27-2009 03:22 PM

steering box

how hard is it to put new seals in the sterring box

Jim_Lou 05-27-2009 07:10 PM

It's not difficult. I did it once and got it all back together, but one of the seals leaked anyway. The instructions call for an installation tool - a thin metal sleeve - to slip a seal over a splined shaft. I didn't have one and probably cut the seal in the process. There is no doubt a way to do without the tool, but I tried to be Cheap Charlie and paid for it. :(

Shatteredglass 05-28-2009 07:38 AM

thanks mine leaks now so i was going to just get that leak stopped or try to

WILL 05-28-2009 02:44 PM

Is it the input seal or pitman arm seal?

jeep girl 05-29-2009 09:39 PM

I replaced my whole gear box. bought a reman from autozone... it was fairly easy and cheap :D

Shatteredglass 05-30-2009 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WILL (Post 1545676)
Is it the input seal or pitman arm seal?

i think the pitrm seal

WILL 05-31-2009 06:43 PM

That is the easy one to change. Just remove the pitman arm (the hard part of the project), remove the snap ring, start the jeep and turn the wheel and it will spit those seals out. Just put in the new seals and you're done.

Shatteredglass 06-12-2009 06:21 AM

Input seal

Ok how hard to replace the input seal?

Shatteredglass 06-17-2009 07:48 PM

anyone ever replace the input seal?

jdoggmoney 06-17-2009 09:52 PM

I've replaced pitman and input seals without a complete tear down and "knock on wood" I've never had a problem. I remove the gear from the vehicle. I would never try this on the input end without removing the gear.

Remove the retainer snap ring and then very carefully drill a small hole (1/16th) in the metal portion of the seal. Now take a very short/small flat head screw and turn it into the hole. You can now pry up on the flat head of the screw to get the seal to start coming out. I usually have to drill a second hole across from the first and work them one at a time, wiggling the seal out.

CAUTION: You must be very careful to drill through the metal portion of the seal. Do not allow the bit to contact the input/pitman shaft. This could scar the shaft and cause you to have to buy a complete gear.

I bet I've used this method fifteen times. If the input seal is leaking, I would go ahead and do the pitman seals as well. You don't want to tear back into it a week later. :D