Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Fairbanks, Alaska
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Funny you should post this today. I just finished taking apart a box and measuring the parts, then putting it back together and doing a flow test to see how close my measured pump displacement matched actually output. I may do a write up with pictures of what is in there the pumps are designed very cleverly.
I had a hell of a time getting the pump to prime. I could not get it to prime by turning by hand and had to put a drill on it. Finally with the drill at in high gear (3000 RPM according to the side of the drill) it primed and filled the jar I planed to use for measuring in a blink of an eye. However, I did not oil things well on assembly.
As Jim said just fill it up and start the engine. Keep the engine at idle and add fluid as needed to keep it full, you should see some movement of the fluid when it is pumping. Then turn the wheels from side to side. Sometimes it seems to help to lift the front axle so there is no resistance.
I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!