Rebuilt Saginaw steering box - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 06:24 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Rebuilt Saginaw steering box

Folks,

I'm nearly done with my Saginaw (power steering) rebuild. It has taken way to long - but that's the way things go with 4 kids.

Anyway - it has been rebuilt and is now re-installed with a Big Daddy steering box bracket.

My question is - do I need to do something to "prime" the steering box? Or do I simple fill the reservoir in the pump and wish for the best?

Thanks everyone for your support and help,

-John

'81 CJ7
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 06:35 PM

You should have lubricated everything with PS juice during assembly, and that's all it needs. Fill the reservoir, start the engine and work the wheel back and forth. The air in the system will get puched out very quickly. Check the level after a few minutes; it will need a little.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2009, 08:23 PM
Veteran

Funny you should post this today. I just finished taking apart a box and measuring the parts, then putting it back together and doing a flow test to see how close my measured pump displacement matched actually output. I may do a write up with pictures of what is in there the pumps are designed very cleverly.

I had a hell of a time getting the pump to prime. I could not get it to prime by turning by hand and had to put a drill on it. Finally with the drill at in high gear (3000 RPM according to the side of the drill) it primed and filled the jar I planed to use for measuring in a blink of an eye. However, I did not oil things well on assembly.

As Jim said just fill it up and start the engine. Keep the engine at idle and add fluid as needed to keep it full, you should see some movement of the fluid when it is pumping. Then turn the wheels from side to side. Sometimes it seems to help to lift the front axle so there is no resistance.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 04:58 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

Well - the GOOD news is that everything is back together and I was able to drive it around this weekend and didn't get killed by any sort of steering malfunction.

The BAD news is that the [email protected]$#@ steering box is leaking. I swear I had placed those gaskets in perfectly....

I hate the idea of pulling that box off again and buying another one after all this. But I'm not sure what else I can do at this point.

-John
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 07:25 PM

Sorry, Man. Same thing happened to me. I think that it was caused by slipping a seal over the splines, where the manual called for a tool - a thin collar to put over the splines first. After spending several hours on the rebuild I went out and got a rebuilt box.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2009, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
Journeyman

I cleaned off the steering box and fired up the engine and let it sit for some time and there was no sign of leakage.

If I turn the wheel while the jeep is on a concert slab and place the box and the pump under stress then I do get some leakage.

Does this mean under "normal" use (ie. steering while moving) I may not have much leakage after all?

Thanks,

-John
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2009, 05:19 AM

Even going straight down a straight road there will be stress on the box and it will leak a little. You really don't want that because sooner or later you'll forget to check it and it will run dry, which will quickly ruin the pump if you keep driving.

B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode