Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   83 CJ7 wipers only work on high (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/232277-83-cj7-wipers-only-work-high.html)

Tim-E 05-23-2009 06:35 PM

83 CJ7 wipers only work on high

Hey everybody

I got a something thats been bugging me for a little while, and since I've got my mc2100 running so sweet these days, I've got time to address this issue, and I hope you guys can help:

Just this past year, the wipers on my '83 CJ7 wipers quit working on the intermittent and low settings.
They only work on high, which is killing my wipers, and its a pain to turn on and off as the rain slows.

On the wiper switch there is a white/tan wire, with a ring shaped connector, as if it bolts to something to ground, but it was not connected to anything when i removed the switch to check it
the LOW and Intermittent settings worked before, and I don't think i ever unbolted or disconnected this white/tan wire.

Where would this wire go?

When I ground said wire out with the intermittent setting on, I hear a slight click/connection noise come from that little black box next to the wiper switch (some sort of relay?) but nothing happens. So I don't think its the switch, but this relay...

What is going on here?
Do I need a new relay?
How else can I get LOW speed on these wipers?

Thanks
Tim

OlllllllOCJ 05-25-2009 10:04 AM

Seems like there is a ground wire coming off of the wiper switch when you have intermittant wipers. I converted my Scrambler.

Here are a couple of old threads that might help more than my poor memory:

https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...s-same-cj.html

https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...schematic.html

https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-shor...t-s-wrong.html

Search still works fine. :laugh:

Could be the intermittant timer or the wiper motor. Power the wiper motor with everything else disconnected and be sure that it runs in both high and low.
:cheers:
Dale

Tim-E 05-26-2009 05:37 PM

Hey thanks for the foot work Dale...I haven't really gotten along with the search on this forum since the board change hosts a year or two ago...maybe its less annoying than it first was...its prolly just me.

Anyway, it seems that a guy fixed the same problem by buying a new intermittent wiper timer from the dealership for $65...i figured that was my problem, but i though maybe this was a common problem for CJ and someone figured out a cheap fix.
i cant find a part anywhere out there on the interwebs...and the dealer WILL rape me on it, that is, if they can even find one...

If that black timer box only controls the intermittant wipers, I could bypass it and install a separate switch for low speed wipers maybe?
I might give that a go tomorrow.

Tim

jeepnut_nh 05-26-2009 05:56 PM

your wipers work?!?

i have to use mine one swipe at a time, or the internal rods will usually jam up..... and timing with the switch is vital! :)

Jim_Lou 05-26-2009 06:14 PM

I don't think that your motor likely has a low speed. Every wiper I've ever seen with an intermittent function has only one speed. Each individual sweep takes the same time, only the interval changes.

OlllllllOCJ 05-26-2009 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim-E (Post 1545608)
Hey thanks for the foot work Dale...I haven't really gotten along with the search on this forum since the board change hosts a year or two ago...maybe its less annoying than it first was...its prolly just me.

Anyway, it seems that a guy fixed the same problem by buying a new intermittent wiper timer from the dealership for $65...i figured that was my problem, but i though maybe this was a common problem for CJ and someone figured out a cheap fix.
i cant find a part anywhere out there on the interwebs...and the dealer WILL rape me on it, that is, if they can even find one...

If that black timer box only controls the intermittant wipers, I could bypass it and install a separate switch for low speed wipers maybe?
I might give that a go tomorrow.

Tim

There used to be a Ford Bronco site that had the parts... Will look for that and let you know.

The 198X CJ's have a two speed wiper motor, the four wire motor.

Sometimes the Dealers are not so bad... Never mind...

Did you notice that the Intermittent box and the switch just plug into the wiper motor harness?? It is as simple as removing the switch and intermittent box then plugging the Jeeps harness into a different wiper switch. So if all else fails... You can have the switch that has been sitting right here next to my keyboard for several years.

Did you try to power the motor with it disconnected from the rest of the wiring?? That would help I think.

Dale

Edit for additional info starts here:

Take a look at these links please...

Arizona Classic Bronco - Tech Time Article #1

https://secure.wildhorses4x4.com/pro...ch/Wiper_Parts

73-79 Ford Truck & 78-79 Bronco Intermittent Wipers:eBay Motors (item 290319624393 end time May-31-09 16:00:00 PDT)

Dale

Tim-E 05-28-2009 08:17 AM

So i bypassed the timer box, connected a hot wire and a $2 switch to the blue wire going to the motor, and viola!...low speed wipers are back! I just gotta find a place for this switch...in the process, i got a bunch of unused wires removed from the under hood and dash...sure beats a trip to the dealer!

Thanks for the info!
Tim

OlllllllOCJ 05-28-2009 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tim-E (Post 1545668)
So i bypassed the timer box, connected a hot wire and a $2 switch to the blue wire going to the motor, and viola!...low speed wipers are back! I just gotta find a place for this switch...in the process, i got a bunch of unused wires removed from the under hood and dash...sure beats a trip to the dealer!

Thanks for the info!
Tim

:laugh: OK if that is how you want it to be... I like having high speed, low speed and intermittent wipers. :grin:

Sometimes I buy stuff from the dealers too... Just walk up to the parts counter, see if they can find it, get the price and just walk away if it's too expensive.

Edit: If you want an original switch that will just plug in and fix it... PM a shipping address. No reason to have one sitting here on my desk forever.
Dale

Tim-E 05-29-2009 09:48 AM

Thanks Dale for the offer, but I'm not sure weather it was the switch or the timer box. Besides, that thing could be worth $50 on the Ebay maybe....

I guess i could find which wire coming out of the switch controls the LOW speed, and see if that selection on the switch works with the timer box bypassed, that way I can still use the original switch. I might just try that later on today...but I don't mind having only low and high. the intermittent was nice, but i don't miss it that much...
Tim

OlllllllOCJ 05-29-2009 03:36 PM

The wiper switch with out intermittent is much more simple and plugs directly into the harness with the motor wires. It's not doing anyone any good sitting here on my desk so if you change your mind just send me your shipping address.

Dale