any opinions on cj3a rebuild? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 11:41 PM Thread Starter

any opinions on cj3a rebuild?

so im rebuilding a 51 cj3a basically frame up. i bought a crate 350 mounted to a scout t18a through advance adapters, dana 20 t-case, its got an amc 20 in the rear with 11" brakes, and a dana 30 in the front. the axles are out of a 78' cj5 renegade. it has power steering and i bought a power booster so i'll have power brakes. i extended the body 8 inches to sit on a 60' cj5 frame. i was just wondering if anyone had any general advice of what kind of brakes, upgrades to axles, lockers, or under the hood kind of stuff i should use? for instance, electric water pump or mechanical? i spent most of my time trail riding, with the occasional deep mud hole. also i plan on building my own roll cage any hints there will be helpful.
thanx any help is appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 05:39 AM

Sounds like a swell project. The brakes from the '78 should be fine, mechanical water pump for sure, and anything you do for a cage will be fine unless you plan to roll it down a mountainside.

You have a mighty ambitious project there. I wouldn't plan on doing any upgrades until I drive it a while and see that it needs something. As it's going together if you see some little things you can do better, that's one thing, but it's too early to say that you need lockers or a hundred more horses in the engine. If you don't already KNOW that you need an upgrade, you don't need it.

For your cage, it's too complicated give specifics. As you design it, keep thinking about where the forces applied to it will go, keep the tube members straight as much as possible, notch and fit everything so that there are no gaps to be filled by weld, and have it put together by a good welder.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

well i plan on getting the one peice axle shafts for the amc 20 and i have the stock limited slip so i shouldnt need a locker in the rear for now. should i get stronger shafts for the front? ive grown to appreciate what lockers can do for you but i cant afford a true locker, so for now im going with lock right in the front, but im opening it up anyways should i switch out the shafts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:46 AM

Personally I wouldn't bother putting an expensive locker or shafts into a D30. I shucked teeth off the ring gear with my 1-barrel 258, backing uphill out of a soft dirt ditch. Lots of guys say the D30 is plenty strong for 33" tires, but I'm skeptical, particularly if you're going to hammer it with a strong V8. Narrowing a 44 is just too cheap and easy to justify spending money on a D30.

One-piece shafts are a good investment for the 20. Make sure that the bearings and seals are readily available. Some shaft kits come with oddball bearings that aren't normally stocked in parts houses.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode