Admin: Pay attention! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2009, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Veteran

Admin: Pay attention!

Which ever one of the 'Tech' guys keeps turning on the 'SCRIPT ERRORS' and putting in the giant scripted advertisements in everything are making it VERY HARD for us To READ the posts,
Reply to the posts,
OR,
Post anything up...

So how about leaving the giant and unreasonable advertisement scrips off this end of the forum?!!!
-----------------------------

You are crashing my UPDATED FireFox and it's not funny anymore...

Doing something about the advertisements pushing the forum off the right side of the page would be good too!
I hate having to adjust every page so I can read the actual post!
(you know, the reason I'm here...)

Last edited by TeamRush; 05-15-2009 at 10:43 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 09:00 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

The ads aren't what's pushing it off to the right - that worked fine for a long time, until one of our volunteer moderators wanted to screw us up and reset some board defaults. We haven't been able to find and fix them all yet.

But I appreciate the note on the scripts - that seems to be associated with one new campaign in recent weeks. I'll pass that in.

("Pay Attention" at 9 pm on Friday? Dude, I prefer not to work my job 24/7 - how about you? But I'm here 7 am on Saturday trying to make it better, so give us a little bit of leeway... )

post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamRush View Post
Which ever one of the 'Tech' guys keeps turning on the 'SCRIPT ERRORS' and putting in the giant scripted advertisements in everything are making it VERY HARD for us To READ the posts,
Reply to the posts,
OR,
Post anything up...

So how about leaving the giant and unreasonable advertisement scrips off this end of the forum?!!!

You are crashing my UPDATED FireFox and it's not funny anymore...

Doing something about the advertisements pushing the forum off the right side of the page would be good too!
I hate having to adjust every page so I can read the actual post!
(you know, the reason I'm here...)

Aaron,

Since it's ORCs "biz model" to fly these advertisements, it's unlikely they'll go away completely if left to them. That's like asking the USPS to stop covering the pretty envelopes with address labels & stamps or a cat to stay outta the sandbox! (ain't gonna happen)

However, if you did some basic research into the MANY extensions for Firefox, you'd find at least 2-3 mentioned right in THIS VERY FORUM that will stop ALL advertising. Specifically, check out Adblock Plus and set the filter string as close this as possible "http://engage2.advanstar.com/*"... blocks 75% of the ads and should give you enough insight to figure out how to block the remaining 25%.

Using this 1 extension will clean the "ads" better than Grandma's Lye Soap! A bit different than the all the kluge you're seeing?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ORC_comaprison.jpg (100.3 KB, 3 views)

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 01:28 PM
Dex
Old Hand

im like you

it's been a hassel to go here at this site but its getting better

ROLLIN'THUNDER
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2009, 03:51 PM
Keyboard Implanted

I for one just don't see the junk you are talking about Aaron!

Firefox and adblock plus:
Adblock Plus: Save your time and traffic

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 02:10 AM

no script
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/722

another worthy addition to firefox. takes a little bit to get used to it and set the filters, but easy and a blessing. i use it to block google ads and google analytics, 2 main bandwidth cloggers on every website
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Seldom is there a time...

But I had no other way to even view this forum without using Firefox today.

You don't need a bunch of add on stuff.. You need to not have any add on stuff.

IE-6 to this forum just freaks out.... Hmm it's not very smart... Guess that you just don't support that anymore.

That's just not how the world works.

Pay Attention seems fitting no matter where it comes from.

Sell all the ads you want... Not to say that anyone will buy.

Dale

I was about to post this when FireFox freaked out...

Never mind... I had a great weekend.

Excellent Bad Example
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Veteran

I was going to pelt this guy, but no sense in it...

It's obvious I'm not the only one having problems,
And I'm downloading the suggested blockers right now...

I hate using 3rd party software since it will eventually get in the way of some future upgrade the actual MAKERS will want to do.

Some things never change, I've been around since '99, and I remember when we lost a LOT of good guys here because you couldn't use IE at all...
(SnowTow, H8Mondys, ect.)

So it's not a recent thing that 'Just Happened' because someone pushed the wrong button...
There are several threads on the subject in the past two or three weeks I've been coming here again...

It's just a shame I have to use third party blockers on what used to be the best CJ/Jeep BBS on the internet

Last edited by TeamRush; 05-18-2009 at 10:43 AM.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Just Plain Need A Life

And hey, we do actually appreciate the red flags - it IS the only way we know stuff needs fixing.There aren't very many of us here anymore - and none whose job is to watch this board full-time all day every day, monitor every message, make sure nothing is broken. So we need someone to pop there head up and say HEY!

But it's just really wearing to get bitched at pretty much constantly about how bad stuff sucks, when we work our ass off M-F 8-5, then we throw in the volunteer hours weekends and evenings and mornings too.

It's like the parents that like to go to high school sports games and bitch at the coach for what a crappy job he's doing - taking time away from his own family, spending his personal gas and often feeding your kids on his own money...

Sometimes the stuff broken on here is broken by your fellow Board members, intentionally trying to screw us over. Which means they screw you over. Thank them sometime.

And nope, as long as computer servers and internet access bandwidth costs money, the ads that run on here likely won't go away. Unless someone wants to write a check for a mill or so to anoymously sponsor the site, let us know! I'll personally turn off all the ads.

Ah, the good old days, fifteen years ago. When there were no ads on 4x4Web, hosting was free, bandwidth was about $5 per month out of our pocket, everyone volunteered their time, no one wanted to be paid for any story, and we rarely had any complaints about what WAS up - we were all happy we had ANYTHING Off-Road online to look at.

So I'm with ya, and we are trying to pay closer attention because we know it's been ignored in recent months (years?). Surprise - some of us DO actually want this site to be as good as it can.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2009, 12:27 PM
Keyboard Implanted

Thanks Guys, I for one know how hard the job is.

Aaron, it is not hard to use free software to access a free site, these guys are doing the best they can, they are not getting rich, and they are not getting fame either.

Firefox will not hurt you, I promise; IE on the other hand is like licking a brothel floor......

They do need the ads to keep going. However the advertisers may want to do something to make sure their ads are appealing, not annoying (kind of like the used car salesman at 300% volume level, channel gets changed).

IMHO I like this board, the people in it, and am willing to "pay" for it by giving IT and mods respect, and the ads their 15min of "fame".

Scott
1985 CJ7 T.H.O.R

"He brought me up out of the pit of destruction, out of the miry clay, And He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm."
-Psalm 40:2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode