Steering setup, inverted Y vs Inverted T? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Steering setup, inverted Y vs Inverted T?

About four years ago I bought a Currie steering setup for my jeep. I loved it in the beginning but as I started to go through TRE's I am starting to change my mind about this setup. Especially now that the Drag Link TRE is shot. I cant just replace the TRE, I have to replace the whole drag link to the tune of $200. Plus the TRE that attaches to the pitman arm is shot as well and that is another $50.

I found a few places that sell a 1 ton steering setup along with beefy TRE's that only cost about $35 each and the bonus is that "ALL" of the TRE's are replaceable. The setup however, is an inverted T steering setup rather than an Inverted Y. Are there any cons to having an inverted T setup over the Y?

here is a link to the setup I am looking at.

jcr offroad 1 ton steering

------------------------------
97 TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 10:33 PM
Veteran

In general I think the Inverted T is better then Y. Y works okay when the Drag link and Tie rod are very close to parallel. If they are not then Toe in changes a lot depending on ride height. Get the inverted T I think you will like it.

My only suggestion would be to shop around $314 sounds a little high to me but I have not looked at these in a few years, Check with Parts Mike There Kit is only $259.

Also you will need a reamer to open up the holes in the Knuckles and pitman arm, these are $40-$60 for the cheap ones. This is also a good time to consider reaming the Knuckles from the top to get the tie rod a little higher. Turn the reamer real slow clean it often and use lots of good cutting oil such as the high sulfur content stuff used to thread pipes.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2009, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandhmo2 View Post
In general I think the Inverted T is better then Y. Y works okay when the Drag link and Tie rod are very close to parallel. If they are not then Toe in changes a lot depending on ride height. Get the inverted T I think you will like it.

My only suggestion would be to shop around $314 sounds a little high to me but I have not looked at these in a few years, Check with Parts Mike There Kit is only $259.

Also you will need a reamer to open up the holes in the Knuckles and pitman arm, these are $40-$60 for the cheap ones. This is also a good time to consider reaming the Knuckles from the top to get the tie rod a little higher. Turn the reamer real slow clean it often and use lots of good cutting oil such as the high sulfur content stuff used to thread pipes.
I have been strongly considering doing the OTN setup. Ive read that it requires you to remove some of the spring perch and the sway bar axle mounts. I would really like to go over the knuckle however but am just worried a little about whats involved having never done it or watched anyone else do it. I also worry about my steering geometry and the possibility of having to relocate the axle side of the track bar and my welding skills are not quite something that I trust my life with.

I realized that I have to ream the knuckles and pitman arm. Thats not a big deal. I havent seen them (the reamers) for as cheap as 40 - 60$ though. I need to shop around. As far as the steering kit price goes, Ive priced a DIY and it would cost me close to $200 if i were to make the rods myself (cut, drill, and tap). The TRE's average say $35 * 4, and then you have to buy the tube. I priced the tubing at about 15$ per foot. I may try parts mike. I was going to get their crossover steering set up but someone talked me out of it due to the steering geometry problems.

------------------------------
97 TJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode