Mopar Fuel Injection - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Mopar Fuel Injection

It's been a while,

I'm looking for some feedback. I have a stock CJ7, well as far as the engine goes and I'm looking at having a shop install the Mopar FI. The Jeep is running well and I never plan on doing a any hard core 4x4 but..... I'm sick of having to wait for it to warm up before I'm able to drive it. I also re geared the Jeep last year and looking to put in a T-5 so I can make it a daily driver.

Has anyone done the upgrade and if so, any feedback.

Also any idea on what the cost of the install?

Thanks!!!

Carnell

1986 stock CJ7 rebuilt 4.2L 258 more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 01:56 PM
Official Curmudgeon

Seems kind of extreme for your problem. I think you might check for a vacuum leak at a gasket or the choke not opening quickly enough.

There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
Those who understand binary and those who don't.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I can set the choke and it works fine once it has had a chance to warm up. If I try driving it prior to it being warm, the jeep dies at a stop unless I keep giving it gas. So the choke sets but as soon I touch the gas at any point it will go to idle. The other idea is the fact that, if I understand it right, I no longer have to have it smoged, again another issue that keeps showing it's ugly head,

Carnell

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 02:31 PM

I think you're wrong on the latter point. Check with the smog Nazis if that's a significant motivation.

The guys who have FI swear by it, but I don't know if anyone on the board has used the full Mopar conversion system. What comes to mind is a lot of do-it-yourself systems comprised of a mix of parts.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 03:25 PM
Veteran

What I'm thinking is that for the cost of that mopar system you could have your shop go to the boneyard and probably buy a complete late model engine with all the fixins and end up with FI and a fair amount more horsepower/torque than you would get from just bolting on the kit. Turn around and sell your good running take out to recoup some of the cost and be money ahead.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-10-2009, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Thanks guys for the info and ideas. I might have a hard time parting with my current engine. I have put allot of time and sweat into the rebuild and would hate to see it go. C.A.R.B. executive order D265-7......this is what's telling me about the smog testing info. I will call a local smog shop and see what they know about this order.

You guys are right, this is a big cost but I dream of a smooth running engine that I can just start up and go

Carnell

post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:19 AM
Apprentice

OBDI & Late Intake Model (TJ)

I concur with Spook2. I currently have the Mopar MPI Kit based on 95 4.0L Wrangler. Hoping to sell it, once I contrive my own. Hoping to grab a 99-02 (?) intake manifold, visit the junkyard for what can be found and purchase individual components that are superior to stock. HESCOS makes the kit, so if needed, a phone call will take care of the remaining components.

U could swap 4.0 head at the same time: reportedly 40 HP / 10% MPG due to air flow. Casting is 7120 (91-95 Wrangler): Better air flow than newer head.

I have a 62 mm throttle body with the corresponding spacer, but a greater gain in volume would be achieved with the other intake. I hoping to find the OBDI (MPI kit is based on: 1st generation) fuel ruel and use the existing TB /S.

Ton of info on this, u should be able to find the Instructions / Parts list online or just have a shop take care if it.

The Vibration Damper, CPS sensor (HESCOS (External) vs Advanced Adaptors (In bell housing), throttle body (spacer later?), distributor (need to research this some more: MSD / Mallary use sin wave?), coil, fuel pump, injectors are a few of more expensive components.

You can run a single line set-up or 2-line set-up. HESCO now sells a block/plug to convert a dual to a single line. Depends of climate / application.

Good Luck!

Jeff
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 02:36 AM
Apprentice

4.0L header

You will need to do a little research if u do the 4.0L head swap. I believe the three main things are: a valve cover spacer, to seal the water jackets, and the 95 header.

Also the intake manifold may interfer with the power steering pump bracket.

Jeff

4.2L Head Conversion - Putting a 4.0L head on a 4.2L block!! - Jeep at Off-Road.com (Tony Carricaburu article is one of many)
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-11-2009, 07:37 AM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7 Pieces View Post
I concur with Spook2.
Jeff

I think I'd have to disagree with you agreeing with me given the OPs new info. I think if I had a fresh rebuilt motor I'd be loathe to swap it out for a junk yard model as well. It seems all he is really after is decent cold weather starting/driving ability and to be able to pass the smog nazis out there in Kali. Given that I think I'd opt for a Howell TBI unit. It will run about half the cost of the mopar kit, will offer good starting performance in cold weather, and is california smog legal.

I have one on a 360 in my wagoneer and have no complaints.

As an aside, I know we all like to complain about "smog nazis" but as someone who lived out in LA area in the early 80's and has visited recently, I can tell you that your air quality is much better now than it was back then. A pain in the arse they may be but it seems they are helping to get the job done.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2009, 12:37 AM
Apprentice

Mopar mpi kit

No need to buy it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode