Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Ford GPW 1942 (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/232151-ford-gpw-1942-a.html)

Jim_Lou 05-12-2009 06:11 AM

Seat belts weren't put in Jeeps until the mid or late sixties. My '64 had attachment points for them, but no belts.

I doubt that you can buy a roll bar or cage for yout Jeep. There just aren't enough of them still around to justify setting up production. You need to find a fabrication shop that has a tubing bender and get one made. The basic design is a steel plate or angle bolted to the top of the fenderwells. At the front is welded a hoop that goes up above head height, across to the other side and down. Then there are braces that run from the back of the plate up and forward to the hoop.

Your Jeep is so light that the metal doesn't have to be real thick. The tube can be 60mm or so in diameter and 2 or 3 mm thick. The angle or plate that the tube is welded to should be about the same thickness as the tube. Where it's attached to the body you should have a similar piece of flat steel on the underside.

You can also put a hoop in front of the passengers at the instrument panel and connect it to the hoop behind them. That is the basic design of a full roll cage.

Your seat belt attachment points should have a piece of steel 60 to 100mm square and 1 or 2 mm thick underneath the floor. If you just use a nut and bolt it could get pulled through in a crash.

aamir567 05-27-2009 10:28 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I have decided not to install roll Bar on My Ford GPW 1942 at the moment

JeepnGreg 05-27-2009 10:44 AM

Very nice looking jeep!

Raduckal 05-27-2009 10:51 AM

If I had that Jeep, I wouldn't install seatbelts or a roll bar either.

aamir567 05-31-2009 01:43 AM

This link is of one of the event arranged by Islamabad Jeep Club ( IJC ) on May 10 th 09
Hope u will like it.
Need ur expert comments.
Thanx
Aamir Malik

YouTube - Islamabad jeep club

Jim_Lou 05-31-2009 05:38 AM

That looks like a great outing! Except for the one newer military vehicle, that could be a club outing here in the states.

aamir567 05-31-2009 12:58 PM

Yes it was a club activity on 10 th of may 09
We have a club named
Islamabad Jeep Club
Pakistan
We used to go for offroading on consecutive sundays
ON 10 th may we were on 23 different 4x4's n enjoyed extreme offroading

aamir567 06-14-2009 12:47 AM

Dear Friends

Need suggestions in arranging Obstacle & Hurdle competition
Kindly suggest how to award point to participants

Jim_Lou 06-14-2009 06:43 AM

My suggestion is that you make your course full of tight turns, vertical walls no more than a half meter tall, places where the suspension will have to twist - opposite corners of the vehicle dropping down, and some large rocks to drive over. Set up stakes with flags to mark the boundaries of the course. Then give a point every time the contestant stops, backs up, hits a stake, drives outside the boundary, or needs outside help. Lowest number of points wins.

That will reward planning, slow careful driving, and knowledge of the vehicle, which will keep it safe for everyone. If time is a factor in scoring someone will get hurt by doing something foolish.

The challenge is to set up a course that doesn't give a big advantage to one particular type or size vehicle. Watch what the different vehicles in your group have trouble with when you're out playing, and include obstacles that guarantee a challange for everyone somewhere on the course.

aamir567 06-14-2009 12:27 PM

Thanx for ur nice suggestions
Do u know any thread on Offroad or any youtube link for more information.
I will be highly obliged.
I saw a portion of programme on Super Sports