Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   Carbs! (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/232141-carbs.html)

PHX? 05-08-2009 08:42 AM

Carbs!

Ok so clutch issue is all insane still but thats not what im posting about this time!

So I was wondering is a Holley 4bbl Carb able to be used on a 258?

It would replace my stock carb.

Jim_Lou 05-08-2009 09:44 AM

It's been done, but is overkill, IMO. Years ago a buddy had a 4-barrel - Holley I think but am not sure - on a Clifford intake on his 258. It had vacuum-operated secondaries and we couldn't confirm that they ever opened more than a little bit.

On the other hand 4-barrels were big on the 283 and even 265 C.I. small-blocks when those engines were the hot setup, but they would spin 6,000 RPM and beyond when properly set up - WAY beyond what a 258 should be asked to do. I doubt that mine has ever been past half that speed.

PHX? 05-08-2009 11:43 AM

Well i can get a brand new holley for about fifty bucks. Should i? Cause i have a stock 2 bbl

CJ7Taz 05-08-2009 11:50 AM

I ran a Holley 390 CFM on an Offenhauser manifold for a couple of years. I was pretty happy with it. I was using mine as a daily driver at the time. It gave me the power to pass and merge at interstate 70 MPH speeds.

Iíve still got the manifold and carb somewhere in the basement. One of these days I may dig it out and put it in the for sale section.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jim_Lou (Post 1544891)
On the other hand 4-barrels were big on the 283 and even 265 C.I. small-blocks when those engines were the hot setup, but they would spin 6,000 RPM and beyond when properly set up - WAY beyond what a 258 should be asked to do. I doubt that mine has ever been past half that speed.

Jim, there are carbs and there are carbs. The 390 CFM seemed to be a pretty good fit for the 258. Those 283ís could have been running as big as 650 CFM.

PHX? 05-08-2009 11:58 AM

Hmmm so maybe i should put it on ill check what model carb it is

TeamRush 05-09-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX? (Post 1544885)
Ok so clutch issue is all insane still but thats not what im posting about this time!

So I was wondering is a Holley 4bbl Carb able to be used on a 258?

It would replace my stock carb.

The smallest Holley 4 barrel is a 390, and that is still a bit big for the 258 CID I-6 engine.

You will probably never get into the secondaries if it's a vacuum secondary carb, so it will 'WORK'...
I just won't ever work 'Correctly'.