question need help cj8 24 volt gen/alt for 24 volt winch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Question question need help cj8 24 volt gen/alt for 24 volt winch

hi well back to final wiring on the 24 volt winch duel batt set up...............i got the alt all mounted and wiring done but today when tried it getting some mixed readings or should say want to know if it is working correct.....................the alt is a miltary number ra2435mil4 made by prestolite electric inc specs are 28 volt output and 35 amp ................i am posting all the info i have been able to get on this unit..............when i hooked it up it seems to be working correct but when i unhook the excitation connection it still is charging the batts.............i thought this should stop the charge from the unit like the reg small wire from the normal 12 volt system on the jeep from the kep switch does..............if anybody knows about charging systems and would take a look at the info would help me know if something is wired wrong or if i have a problem with the unit...................the dual batts are wired with the positive connector marked at the alt as B goingtothe + post on one of the batts and the neg wire connection marked as c going to the other batt neg - post.............the excitation connection marked as A also going to the same pos + post on the first batt.......my worry or problem is i thought that this excitation wire is like a on/off switch for the unit and i would be able to unhook that wire to stop the unit from charging the dual batts.............worried that something my burn up when jeep shut off if the voltage from the duel batts feed back into the alt unit and or when running will the batts get overcharged...........a lot of items that i am not sure of...........can anybody explain how this works thanks for anything of help on this
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9e76_1.jpg (18.0 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Picture 107.jpg (99.2 KB, 3 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RA_rear.pdf (49.7 KB, 2 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 04:59 PM

On alternators with a built-in regulator that little wire supplies the field current that's necessary to get the unit up and running. Once the alternator is producing on its own, the internal regulator supplies the field current that it needs to sustain its rated output voltage. Then that wire is no longer needed, but it can be used to operate a warning light. If it isn't used for that there must be a diode in it to prevent it from back-feeding the ignition circuit when the key is turned off.

In short, it sounds like it's behaving as it should. Unless it has an external regulator in which case I don't know what's going on.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 05-03-2009 at 05:06 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Smile 24 volt alt wiring unit

ok thanks......... then since i am using this as a stand alone system and their is no back-feeding the ignition circuit to worry about then it should work ok as i have it............ and yes their is a diode built into it from the info i have been able to get on it......... thanks again
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-04-2009, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Question another question on the 24 volt system

ok now my problem is i want to be able to stop the charging of the batteries to make sure i dont over charge them............. i found a small in size breaker 68amp that was used as overload protection on a printer unit .........it is double the amp load that the alt can put out so it wont trip on its own but it would work as a on/off switch right .............if i put it in the positive wire then i would be able to cut off the charge flow to the batteries right .........thanks
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 01:02 AM
Veteran

Yes that would work but I would do some more research before doing so.

I was once told by an older mechanic that running a charging system with out a battery is bad for it, I do not know why. This may not be true anymore due to the solid state regulators that are used now but It might be good to find out if this is still the case before you disconnect the battery.

Wilhelm

I will start using Metric only when the duodecimal system is adopted!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:33 AM

Why are you worried about overcharging the batteries?

And if that's an AC breaker it might not hold up in a DC circuit.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Question 24 volt alt wiring unit

ok you are saying i am again worried about something i dont have to be correct............. i just thought that with all the different parts pcs i had to put togther due to the winch being 24 volts that without it tied in like the normal jeep charging system that there might be a over charge but if the 24 volt alt works correct i can just hook it up and not worry about overcharging them right........ 1. how will i know for sure without doing damage to them......2. on the breaker how can i test it for working on the dc volts 3. am i going to be ok using the winch with the motor/charging system working.....or should i only use the winch with motor off . i know these questions my sound dum but i am just trying to cover everything as it seems everytime i think i have a answer something else comes up ........... just my luck but i will not give up untill i have this working thanks for the feedback
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 05:49 PM

1) Well, a 12-volt system maintains itself with a charging voltage of about 13.5, so I would think that a 24-volt system would want to be at 27 or thereabouts. If that's the voltage you get with the engine running and no load you should be OK. The long-term check is that if you have to add water to the batteries after ten or twenty hours of running, the voltage might be a little high, and if the specific gravity of the acid in the cells is low then the voltage is low and the batteries aren't fully charged. But since you're using sealed batteries you won't have that data, so I'd ask the battery manufacturer what they want for charging voltage and go from there.

2) From what I know about breakers, which is limited, it should trip on DC at pretty close to the AC current that would trip it. The problem is that it's a switch, and switches designed for AC often don't like DC so the contacts burn out prematurely. Maybe someone with more knowledge of the subject will chime in.

3) Shouldn't be a problem running the engine while using the winch. I don't know a lot about electric winches, but most of the times I've seen them being used the operator revs the engine to get the alternator outmut to the max and hold the draw from the battery to the minimum. By the nature of its design an alternator can't put out too much current, so it can't be hurt by working into a big load.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #9 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Smile 24 volt alt wiring unit

great that helps a lot just talking with you..........the output at first was 29 volts but the unit has a trimer to make a little adjustment and i got i down to about 27.5 with no load on the batts..........the nice thing about the 24 volt winch is from what i have found out is it does not heat up near as much as a 12 volt system winch and the draw from the dual batt is less also............ so it should not be a hard on the charging system either when it is running.......... i will be sure to give some feedback as soon i get a real chance to try it out...... but for now i think i will connect things back up and just watch it real close for a while............ on the sealed optma batts the main thing is when charging them not to get them to hot or you can pop the vent which from what i have read is bad and will shorten their life thanks
post #10 of (permalink) Old 05-05-2009, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Smile pic on the charger 24 volts and more info

ok i just went out and hooked it up and ran it for a good 20min to half hour........ now keep in mind both the batt down on charge from sitting and not being on charger all winter....... before start up they showed 19.5 volts together and apart one was about 12.2 volts and the other one was lower about 11 volts............... started the motor and took another reading with both .......... showing 27.5 volts going into them.............. as time went by the charging rate slowly dropped to about 25.3 volts.................... keep feeling the 24 volt unit to see how hot it was getting................ got warm then hot but not so hot i could not keep my hand on it................ compared it to the reg 12 volt alt unit and was just about the same........... so seems all is good.............does this all sound right................ also take a look a the photos on the breakers.............. you cant see very good but it shows on the lable accross from hertz dc and from the looks of the cables that came with these i think they are dc anyway.......... maybe from a batt backup system off the mach they were hooked up on................ the wiring going to the dual batt did not get hot and the batt didnt either so seems they were taking charge fine........ i am very hopefull on this now feedback welcome thanks again
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_3395.jpg (82.1 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3398.jpg (101.4 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3396.jpg (101.2 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3399.jpg (100.3 KB, 1 views)
File Type: jpg 100_3401.jpg (102.1 KB, 1 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode