Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   8.8 Trouble, need some help. (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/232101-8-8-trouble-need-some-help.html)

Crazy Eddie 05-03-2009 06:52 AM

8.8 Trouble, need some help.

Hey guys,

I went out to the shed yesterday to take a look at Eddie and make sure all is well for the Bash.

It's not.

I reached underneath and was messing with the driveshaft and discovered a bunch of slop down at the pinion end of the D/S. Initially I suspected a u-joint but after pulling the D/S I found that the u-joint is fine. This is when I got worried, I'm thinking big problem, pinion bearing is smoked, oh $hit how'd this happen? So next I take the yoke off of the pinion flange to further inspect the problem. It seems (to my relief) that the pinion gear is nice and tight but the flange itself is where all the slop is coming from. It's just wobbling on the pinion like its not tight.

Sooo...here's my question.

I don't want to mess anything up with the R&P like bearing pre-load. But can I just remove the pinion nut, see if I can re-position the flange and then torque it down to X amount of ft lbs??? If so, how many ft lbs??? I've been trying to search for what I need over on Pirate but the search function won't accept 8.8 as a key word.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!
Thanks guys,
Aaron.

pontiac58 05-03-2009 10:33 AM

Before you just pull off the pinion nut you need to know the rotation torque of the pinion.

To do it correctly you should pull your axles and carrier. But since this is basically only a off road, slow moving rig, Just pull you brakes off so everything turns easily.

Get a inch pound torque wrench, No click types they doesnt work. I perfer dials but a beam will work. Its has to read in the low numbers. From zero to 75 is a good split.

What you do is rotate the pinion with the torque wrench and see what you get. Probably going to be between 1 and 7 inch pounds may be as much as 25 which is for a new setup. But you have run it so it will be down.

Once you get you reading. Take the pinion nut off, change the yoke, add locktite to the old nut and retorque to you old setting or a pound more. Dont use a impact gun to put it back on. Chances are you will over torque it. Once the nuts snugs up a 1/8 of a turn in a big move.

Get another flange, if yours is loose now it is junk. Turning it wont help anything.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Jeff also has my number if you want to call.

Good luck

Crazy Eddie 05-03-2009 11:09 AM

Thanks Jim,

I've gotten some similar info off Pirate and from a couple of phone calls with a buddy from Fatboys Jeepers. I think we're in business again!!!

Thanks again for the help and good to here from you!

Aaron.:D:D:D