Share your thoughts - compare CJ fuel sender to Bronco sender - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-02-2009, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Share your thoughts - compare CJ fuel sender to Bronco sender

As any CJ owner knows it's just a matter of time before the fuel gauge stops working. My stock gauge was replaced several times, each time the fix worked for short periods and then quit.

My last repair was to add in an aftermarket fuel gauge (Autometer Sport-Comp gauge). Of course this gauge isn't built to be installed in a Jeep. This causes the needle to waver. It's constantly bobbing back and forth.

At first the gauge would still be in the "ball park" of the existing fuel level. But over time it seems to have lost any REAL information. I can only judge whether there is fuel in the tank by how far UP the gauge the needle goes. This isn't very comforting.

While talking over the LONG list of repairs I'm about to get into. It was mentioned that the Fuel gauge no longer works. And "something should be able to be done" to make it read right.

A quick reference to some of my Bronco aftermarket books, leads me to think that I can modify a (1995ish) Bronco sender to fit onto my Jeep sender's mount and install it into my Jeep tank (20 gal poly).

Of course all this thinking is just running me in circles until I get a Bronco sender in my hands. And this fix will be pretty low on the agenda any ways.

But I was hoping somebody that knew more about the gauges and senders would chime in, either to tell me that I'm on to something. Or that I'm totally clueless. It's about an even gamble at this point.......

Whatta you think? In theory, would installing a Bronco sender into my CJ with an aftermarket gauge work?

I realize I still have some work to do. I'm just curious if there is an obvious (probably electrical) reason this shouldn't work.

Thanks,
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2009, 12:37 AM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

It's late and I'll have to do some part number searching to get the exact info to you, but here's what I did.

When I bought my YJ frame and tub, I also scored the poly tank and YJ sender. This is for an 89 carb 4.2. The YJ gauge works differently (backwards) than the CJ gauge... again it's late I'll have to get exact info tomorrow if you want it.

Anyway, after quite a bit of searching I found an autometer gauge that installs into the factory clock hole in the CJ dash and reads correctly with the YJ sender. Now it's not exactly perfect, and it does bounce some. It reads full when full and when it reads empty I figure I have about three-four gallons remaining.

It may cost you a YJ sender, but this should install into your CJ poly tank easier than the Bronco unit. And the nice large fuel gauge is nice.

Is this the only hammer you've got?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode