New Shocks......... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Arrow New Shocks.........

I need new shocks for my 1974 CJ5. The suspension is stock. It just has 33" tires on it. Before I bought new shocks, I wanted to know a few things......

~Should/Can I get long arm shocks in case I want to put a lift or revolver shackles in; and if I get the long arm shocks, can I still use them with no other upgrades?

~Should/Can I do the spring over axle setup? What are the pros and cons, what do I need, and how hard is it to do it?............ and if i do this should I get long arm shocks

~How well do revolver shackles work

~Which shocks should I get,

~Where is the cheapest place to get shocks

~Are there any little cheap things I can do to achieve better articulation or lift?

IF ANYONE CAN ANSWER ANY OF THESE QUESTIONS, THAT WOULD BE GREAT, AND ITS MUCH APRECIATED. EVEN A COMMENT HELPS.

THANKS MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 08:02 PM

The shocks have to match the suspension. Shocks with a long stroke will be too long when compressed to fit stock suspension.

Yes, you can do a spring-over, but it's not nearly as simple as it seems at first glance. Done right you will have about 5" of lift and a very nice handling Jeep. Done wrong and it can be a handling nightmare.

Revolver shackles allow the axle to drop farther than normal. But the weight on the tires is only the weight of the tires and axle, so you really don't get much benefit in off road capability.

The one cheap and easy thing you can do for articulation is install swaybar disconnects, if you have a swaybar. If you do that much you'll have plenty of articulation for a lot of wheeling.

And, IMO, putting lift on a CJ5 is not a good idea. Those '5s are short, narrow and fairly high already. They're pretty tippy in stock form, and lifted turn into something that should only be driven with the greatest care. If you want to lift it you should consider wider axels in the process.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication

Last edited by Jim_Lou; 04-26-2009 at 08:05 PM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Ok, sounds good.

So what would I need for the Spring over setup...............I know its a kit, but anyone know where to get one, or could I have one fabricated?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 AM

Maybe there are kits available, but I don't recall anyone on this board ever installing one. Spend a couple of hours here with the search function and you'll start getting an idea about what's involved. The first decision is whether you're going to put wider axles under it. A lot of things hinge on that.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 03:08 PM
Official Historian

Since it is already on 33's, if it doesn't have a locking differential in the rear (not a limited slip but a locker) that would be my first improvement. That will do more for you offroad than a flexy suspension will. 33's will have plenty of clearance especially on a CJ5 to go most places the stock drivetrain will handle.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Ya, ok. I wasnt going to put wider axles on it just because its strictly offroad, and really doesnt need to handle well at higher speeds.

So Are you kinda hinting I probably shouldnt do the spring over axles?
I really want to get lockers, but If I am going to spend the time and money,I want to go all the way and put air lockers in it, and I dont feel like spening +900 on them yet.....................

Does anyone have any recommendations on what/where to get for the shocks???
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
So Are you kinda hinting I probably shouldnt do the spring over axles?
No. There's nothing wrong with doing it - it's the preferred method of getting that amount of lift. We're just letting you know that doing so is a significant project, much more complex than it would seem. But it's not something that should be undertaken lightly. You should research the subject until you fully understand it before getting started. Here's a website with what not to do regarding the steering. Steering is one of the things most often done wrong. Scary Steering!

B. Dash Fabrication
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

ohhhhh. Ok. I see what you mean. I just wasnt sure If you was hinting it might not be a good idea, but I see what meant now................
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2009, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

I was just looking a replacement shocks in Quatratec, 4 wheel Parts, and 4WD.

There are soo Many different brands and types, I have no clue where to start

can anyone recommend any particular brand, or type?????????

(P.S. looking for stock shocks for a 74 CJ5)

thanks for your help!!!!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2009, 05:27 AM

Rancho 9000s are well regarded here for their adjustability. Personally I like Monroes. You don't need anything fancy. Just go down to your friendly NAPA store and ask for stock replacements. What you see in the catalogs are primarily designed to work well in catalogs - they're built for marketing. In fact, you'll be better off if you toss those catalogs in the trash, IMO

B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
shocks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode