"Classic" Vehicle Registration?? Inspection? Emissions? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:47 PM Thread Starter

"Classic" Vehicle Registration?? Inspection? Emissions?

I was talking with a friend tonite about old jeeps and we began discussing how an old jeep (or any old car) passes emissions test, inspections, etc ...

This is required in GA ... with my car i had to jump through all of the emissions and insurance hoops before i could get a tag, so i would asssume an old jeep is no differnt

How is this addressed or circumvented?

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2009, 06:44 AM

It's all in the state laws. I don't know how your state does it, but in Illlinois they recently dropped all testing for any vehicle that doesn't have on-board diagnostics. My '78 had to pass it's final inspection, and now it never needs to be inspected again. Prior to that change it had to pass a tailpipe sniffer and gas cap check every two years. But that was only for two counties near St. Louis and a few more in the Chicago area. The rest of the state has no tests or inspections.

As I understand California rules, every vehicle newer than early '70s has to pass performance tests and a visual inspection to confirm that all emission controls are present and working as intended. One way around it is to buy property in Nevada or Arizona and register the vehicle there where there is no testing or inspection. You'll have to check with your DMV or state EPA to see what your rules are.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode