Jeep TH400/quadratrac to TH400/dana20 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-24-2009, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Jeep TH400/quadratrac to TH400/dana20

I know this has been answered probably somewhere, but I have a 76 jeep with an amc360/th400/quadratrac and my local junkyard has a 74 wagoneer with a th400/dana20 in it.

can I bolt up that dana 20 if it has the adapterplate good on it? or are they different?

I think I heard the adapter plate is weak, novak makes just a plate strengthener? I know if it doesn't bolt up, they make a kit to do it, but htey are so damn expensive...

I was thinking these might be similar or rare enough that since it's off a wagoneer...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 09:40 AM
Official Historian

Yes, you can just pull the 400/QT and bolt in the 400/20. You should have enough rear driveshaft length to not worry about swapping the rear axle either. As for the stock adapter, my brother has been using that drivetrain behind a buick 350 in his wagoneer for almost 10 years. I'd say just check it to make sure there are no cracks when you put it in and use it till or if you ever have a problem with it.

Also, if you are asking about using your same 400 and just changing the transfer case, that won't work. You have to change the transmission output shaft which has to come out the front of the transmission and requires it to be completely disassembled. Just plan on getting the 400 with the dana 20 rebuilt.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton

Last edited by WILL; 04-25-2009 at 09:45 AM.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

Thanks for the info.....

but my real question is can I just use the dana 20 on my TH400? or are they different TH400's? even though from jeep?

I was reading that they were different somewhere?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:24 AM
Official Historian

Reread my second paragraph. Yes you can use the dana 20 on your TH400 but you have to swap out the output shaft. You can either take both transmissions apart to swap the output shaft or just get the one with the dana 20 rebuilt and only take one apart.

"As the circle of my knowledge grows, so grows the circumference of the unknown." - Isaak Newton
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Apprentice

sorry about that, didn't see that paragraph... perfect, I appreciate the response, that is exactly what I needed to know.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-25-2009, 01:08 PM
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by level4designs View Post
I think I heard the adapter plate is weak, novak makes just a plate strengthener? I know if it doesn't bolt up, they make a kit to do it, but htey are so damn expensive...
No sure which "adapter" you're referring to, but...

The *REQUIRED* bellhousing (BOC pattern case)-to-(AMC) block adapter is cast iron... never seen one broken or cracked. You'll also need to grab the flexplate for this setup, as the QT flexplate offsets the wrong direction. *IF* the '74 has a 360, you should be good to use it without re-balancing. If not, haul it to a shop with your QT flexplate and have it balanced to match.

However I'm guessing you're asking about the "pot metal" (actually [poorly] cast AL) TH-400-to-D20 adapter is a POS. Since it acts as the aft mounting point for the TH-400/D20, most of them suffer from the mounting feet/ears being broken off or worn funky. My next project is to devise a "slip-on/bolt-on girdle" for the adapters mounting section... to either rehab a broken mount or reinforce a non-broken mount. That being said, I've heard of the adapters cracking thru the body, etc., but believe this was likely an issue caused by the mount breaking/sloppy connection allowing it to bind. The feet on mine were completely gone, so a chunk of heavy angle was notched and bolted directly to the D20 for mounting. Has held up the past 7+ years of abuse. However, if money *wasn't* an object, it'd definitely be sporting one of the aftermarket (AA, Novak, BullTear) billet adapters...

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode