Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups (https://forums.off-road.com/forum.php)
-   Jeep-Short Wheelbase (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/)
-   -   O/T Back Woods Cocktail set. (https://forums.off-road.com/jeep-short-wheelbase/232016-o-t-back-woods-cocktail-set.html)

thorjeep 04-22-2009 05:52 PM

O/T Back Woods Cocktail set.

Ok, I know I said I O/T too much, but just could not resist this one, similar to the redneck thread...

So, out in the woods, have some empty liquor bottles lying around, and un-expected company shows up. You don't want to be a heathen and have them drink straight from the bottle, but you have no glassware for highballs, what to do?

Solution, create your own cocktail set right on the spot:

How to cut a bottle without tools

Ok, I am sure you are not all as refined as I am, but in a pinch you can use the top as a funnel if you don't have one :)

Ah it is all in fun, and a interesting trick to know.

CJ7Taz 04-22-2009 06:49 PM

writeforus 04-22-2009 07:28 PM

Okay, first thought - "no way does that work!"
Second thought, looking at the resulting cut - "no way would I give that to someone who values their lips..."

And how do you think someone discovered that?

thorjeep 04-22-2009 10:32 PM

Taz,
I have to say ROTFLOL!

You really are the vintage gadgeteer! I remember those, I really do! I can't believe they were used, but I guess they are!!

I thought this would be a cool campfire "I bet you I can..."

Usefullness - nil.
Possible cool, ok.

TeamRush 04-23-2009 12:42 AM

The string and fire method was a special forces trick to space general explosives correctly off something you wanted to penetrate armor on,
And the older wine and champange bottles had the correct bottom contour to make a good shape charge for the same said operation.

The string/fire bottle cutting trick has been in every Ranger manual since WW II.

Bottom of a wine bottle has the correct contour for the shape charge, while the bottle neck placed under the shape charge usually gives the correct 'Stand Off' distance for the shape charge to penetrate the armor.

The small Coke 'Pug' bottles work REALLY well for stand off distance on a shape charge!

In the military, almost all of us had large wine bottles that were opened this way (with string/fire) and then the rough edges worked down on relatively smooth concrete or rocks, with the edges rolled by using knife wet stones and handles made from various pieces of military hardware, usually shrapnel from EOD exploded artillery shells.

It was kind of a 'Status' thing for Rangers to have a large hand made mug to drink from made this way.