Steering box problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 07:23 AM Thread Starter

Steering box problems

The stock steering box has developed a leak at the input shaft, and the darn thing is barely 31 years old! Sheesh!

Anyway, am I correct in thinking that the Waggie/J-truck box of similar vintage is a stronger unit that's a bolt-in replacement? The stock box has enough power for my 31's, but the darn thing gets loose and needs to be adjusted more frequently than seems reasonable - I've taken it out and adjusted it by the book at least four times, and it's loose again. It only has about a hundred K on it, and probably less than ten K since the last adjustment. I can't get excited about rebuilding a box that was only marginal in the first place.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:21 PM
Old Hand

I think that the J20 box is the stronger box. It also has a quicker ratio I think.

You might have issues with the input shaft size/spline count and also with the hose connections on the box. Nothing that a few dollars can not overcome.

A quick search finds this page and some information from people who are more knowledgeable than me.

-- mike

CJOffroad.com - Steering upgrade? Wagoneer box?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks, Mike. I thought that the Waggy/J10 box was stronger than the CJ box, but that thread says otherwise. I wonder if the J20 and 99 Dakota boxes have the same mounting bolt pattern; I don't have time to re-engineer the whole installation right now.

B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Mud in my Veins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Lou View Post
I wonder if the J20 and 99 Dakota boxes have the same mounting bolt pattern; I don't have time to re-engineer the whole installation right now.
Jim,

They likely share the same "Saginaw" mounting pattern, but as already stated, be careful when looking for replacements due to different "plumbing" options. The J20 box (year model dependent) will likely have flared fittings, which should be what you have. The majority of boxes for newer stuff is for the most part all o-ring fittings and IIRC, a better option for the TJs than CJs.

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, Dave. Since I built the steering shaft I guess I can find the proper yoke for the input splines if they're different. I don't suppose you have any idea about that.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 11:50 AM
Mud in my Veins

The only thing I know is that there were 2 different diameter input shafts used on the "1/4 ton" Jeeps. My OEM '72 box had the smaller (possibly 3/4" like the manual boxes) and a buds '73 had the larger (possibly 13/16"). My box went out in Tellico (MANUAL 'power steering" sucked bad!), but was able to borrow his for the weekend just swapping the belljoint.

I was given a "76" marked Sag box of unknown origin to replace mine that also needed the larger splined belljoint. Luckily, another bud had just completely replaced everything from the column down and gave me the larger belljoint from his late-'70s CJ.

You should be able to source a new yoke for the box end of your shaft if needed...

Caver Dave
'72 "Mossy Edition" Commando
the Trail Forge
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-22-2009, 06:02 PM
Old Hand

If I recall correctly, when I was researching steering boxes I used the NAPA website. I think that their site lists the input shaft specs as well as O-ring vs flared fittings. It also gives an idea of cost and core charge. I would definitely look around if you buy a "new" one as their was wide ranges in price when I looked. Also core charges varied from model year.

However, it could have been autozone or I am making it up. The kid at Kroger aged me 30 years yesterday by attempting to sell me senior discount tickets...

New hoses are fairly inexpensive if you need to get a flared vs an O-ring fitting. My local parts store had the hose on the shelf. Also Jegs/Summit/Speedway sell a fitting that will convert one way to the other. Unfortunately, the fitting is probably more expensive and would probably hit the crossmember so keep that in mind.

That is about all I can think of for now.

-- mike
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2009, 05:09 AM Thread Starter

That's what I've been looking for. Thanks, Mike!

Is it May yet?

B. Dash Fabrication
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode