5.7 Vortec Wiring harness - Painless or use factory - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Apprentice

5.7 Vortec Wiring harness - Painless or use factory

I recently picked up a 98 5.7 vortec, ecm, and wiring harness and plan to install in my CJ5. I've been doing a little research and I know given enough time I can hack up the factory wiring harness to work. My question for those of you that have done this before, if you had it to do all over again would you have spent the money and purchased a Painless wiring harness?

Thanks
Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 02:46 PM
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dugs_cj3a View Post
I recently picked up a 98 5.7 vortec, ecm, and wiring harness and plan to install in my CJ5. I've been doing a little research and I know given enough time I can hack up the factory wiring harness to work. My question for those of you that have done this before, if you had it to do all over again would you have spent the money and purchased a Painless wiring harness?

Thanks
Doug
What 'Factory Wiring' do you think you have to 'Hack Up'?

All you really need from the factory harness is the 'Ignition' power feed,
the rest for the fuel injection sensors, injectors themselves, ect will NOT be in the factory harness since there is no fuel injection...

And there are SEVERAL COMPANIES that makes Fuel Injection harnesses to run between sensors, components and computer...
The one I like the most is from Arizona Speed & Marine, but there are SEVERAL...
--------------------------------

Now, if you mean the factory Jeep wiring is crap and needs replaced,
I'd agree with you on that point,

BUT,
For factory replacment harnesses, I sure wouldn't use Painless when there are so many others out there so much cheaper and just as good or better...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 04:29 PM
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Wow, just this weekend I did the typical intake manifold gasket on my 98 5.7 Vortec in my Suburban. What an unbelievable PITA! I consider myself a fairly skilled mechanic after 20+ years of screwing around with vehicles, but that job was a real backbreaker. Wires wires and more wires.

Haven't started it yet -- I had to order up a new EGR pipe, as I mangled the fitting trying to get it out of the manifold. It just wouldn't come out, and I was hesitant to use heat, as the top of the manifold is plastic. Ha, maybe i'm not that skilled after all.

Anyway, I guess all I can add is if you have the motor out, I'd do an intake gasket -- they are notorious for going bad.

Good luck
Pete

88YJ: Old, noisy, slow, and just generally wonderful. Wheeling Jeep.
04WJ: Less old, less noisy, less slow, daily driver Jeep.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 08:46 PM

I did a SBC swap using an engine out of 93 Chevy P/U....the wiring part was easy....once I figured out what was missing....when they cut it out they chopped the wires at the fuse block and left off the VSS.

The only real issue is if your setup came with or without an auto tranny...if it originally came with a tranny, then unless you are putting that in as well, then you need to go Painless.

If it did not have a tranny or you are using the tranny that came with it (most likely a 4L60E) then I would use the stock harness.

The stock harness goes to everything on the engine and then connects to the computer....there are only about 6 connections (and will be the same for the Painless setup)

Battery feed (fuseable link)
Fuse feed Injectors
Fuse feed for Tranny
Fuse feed for fuel pump
Ignition On
Ignition Crank
Brakes (auto tranny...disconnects the lock up converter)

There are some misc wires related to cruise control and ABS brakes.

AKA DDawg16
84 CJ7, SOA, 5.7LTBI, 4L60E, 35"x12.5, 4.10 gears, F/Det, R/ARB, Full Roll Cage,
D44 Flat top in progress...
Link to my Frame up Restore
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2009, 11:31 PM

I just did my own harness on a 2004 5.3 Vortec. If you are fairly confident in your skills and have patience, it's easily doable. If money is not a real issue, buy the Painless.

Mine was time consuming because I removed all the wiring that I didn't need or wasn't using, and then rewired the Power Distribution Center and combined it with a new underhood fuse panel for the whole Jeep. I could have done the whole thing in a few hours if i just wanted to make it run...

Here's my new fuse box (PDC)-

PDC closed- connects to the engine and harness with various Weatherpack connectors for a modular system-

My modified harness- still have to put connectors on all the wires on the left corner, but they will plug into the PDC when done-

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring harness 004.jpg (80.8 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg PDC 002.jpg (69.8 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg PDC 003.jpg (80.8 KB, 30 views)

Randy S.
It's not what you buy, It's what you build
82 Scrambler 5.3/4L60E/241OR/D44&HD20 4.56/lockers
1999 XJ Cherokee
1973 VW Bus
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2009, 05:57 AM
Addict

Wayyy back when in 99 when I installed a 5.0 in my YJ, I bought a street rod harness, still have the original harness. It came with a very good manual. I grafted the harness back into the jeep wiring after I removed all unnecessary wiring from the other engine and jeep, took 2 days but everything works, gauges, idiot lights, check engine, etc. I also sent a copy to in2deep when he did his CJ-7. I would surely look around there are several good harness manufacturers out there, just make sure it has good directions/wiring diagrams.

BOOGER

"Sometimes Insanity and Genius walk the same side of the street"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode