1977 CJ5 Clutch - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Jeep-Short Wheelbase All discussion of short wheelbase Jeeps: CJ, TJ, YJ and JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

1977 CJ5 Clutch

I have a 1977 CJ5 3 speed 4wd and it needs a new clutch. I went to the parts store to get one and they are showing 2 different clutches. Is there any way i can know which clutch it is without having to remove the original clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2009, 12:45 PM

Welcome to the board! We need more CJ guys here.

I don't think there's any way to tell what you have for sure. You can pull the starter and look in the hole with a flashlight and mirror, and maybe tell whether it's a diaphragm-spring or a 3-finger, coil spring type. But if there's a size difference you'll probably have to pull it out and match it up.

And do yourself a favor and rent a transmission jack if you don't have one. It's possible for a couple strong guys to life the transmission/transfer case out and back in, but if one slips or gets weak there is a big chance of getting hurt, and also damaging the transmission input shaft. And spend a few days soaking the skidplate bolts before you try to remove them. Do your best to get penetrant onto the top of the bolt - use a long tube on the spray can and feed it into the holes in the frame and spray the heck out of things. Those bolts like to rust into the nuts in the frame. When you try to remove them the nut breaks loose and spins. Then you've got another problem. And don't use WD40, use Kroil or PB Blaster.

EVERYTHING's easy for the guy who doesn't have to do it.
B. Dash Fabrication
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:42 AM
Way Outta Control

Don't use PB Blaster? Why not? What's better?

Good advise about the trans jack - you can make an adapter from wood that bolts to your floor jack if needed. Harbor Freight sells a manual trans jack for cheap too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 05:07 AM

[quote] Don't use PB Blaster? Why not? What's better? [\quote]

Personally I prefer Kroil, but don't know of any reason not to use PB.

[quote] Good advise about the trans jack - you can make an adapter from wood that bolts to your floor jack if needed. [\quote]

I've done the floor jack thing, going so far as to weld up a cradle that fits into the lift cup socket, but don't recommend it. A transmission jack has a screw to adjust the tilt, has casters to roll the assembly any direction, and has a handle short enough to manipulate under the Jeep. A Jeep transmission and transfer case is a big, heavy lump that's a danger to itself, the clutch and bellhousing, and the people under it. The risk is so much greater than the rental on a proper tool that it's not worth trying to jackleg something.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 07:51 AM
Way Outta Control

Kroil? Must be an eastern thing.

I've pulled them several different ways, you are right, the best way is with a real trans jack - but in a pinch ---.

I had a hoist type and a floor type by Wudel - the best of the best, but sold them with my shops.

Now I have the HF manual type - a PITA but much better than sheer muscle power.

Gettin too old and stiff to do it myself anyway.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:09 AM

It's great stuff. Doesn't foam like PB. Don't know if that's a good thing or not.

KanoLabs.com

B. Dash Fabrication
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 10:46 AM
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
I don't think there's any way to tell what you have for sure. You can pull the starter and look in the hole with a flashlight and mirror, and maybe tell whether it's a diaphragm-spring or a 3-finger, coil spring type. But if there's a size difference you'll probably have to pull it out and match it up.
I think that's the only difference you are going to run into.. I think there is only one size, the only difference was the pressure plate. I think the 3- finger is the heavy duty and cost a little more but that's what I would go with.

Guys it's a little three speed, who needs a tranny jack for that little thing
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Guys it's a little three speed, who needs a tranny jack for that little thing
Old farts like us!

What's stuck in my mind is the last time I R & R'd the T18/D20 in my Jeep. Had two stout buddies to help muscle it but it was still a fight. A few years ago Nick and I did the same combo on his Jeep with a jack and it was an easy one-man job. My main concern is that, even if it isn't terribly heavy, it shouldn't hang on the input shaft, and if it slips away it could seriously damage a finger. Jack rental is so cheap it's not worth fighting.

B. Dash Fabrication
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 01:02 PM
Addict

for what it's worth, I have the 3 finger set up on my 79

I'm not your average blonde bimbo....I'm above average!!
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2009, 04:18 PM
Can't Get Enough

Quote:
What's stuck in my mind is the last time I R & R'd the T18/D20 in my Jeep. Had two stout buddies to help muscle it but it was still a fight.
I think the T18 is a lot heavier than the three speeds. Did you guys muscle them up together or seperate? When I done my three speed, I had the seats out and the floor cover off so I just layed down in the jeep on my stomache (before I had a belly)and lifted the three speed up through the floor and it worked out realy good.. Then I done the t-case from underneath... You probably wouldn't catch me doing that these days, age is catching up with me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode